Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Using ISP Static IP Address

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2004, 12:03 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using ISP Static IP Address

I'm sure lotsa people have done this before.

I'm hoping to use one of my computers in the house as a webserver. I have a static ip address allocated by my ISP. From the little ive managed to read about this, you use the static ip address on your router and then use NAT to forward via port 80 to the ip address of your internal server.

Anyone got more info or links on how to set this up ?

cheers
sean
Old 27 April 2004, 12:48 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

sean, quite easy..

setup your router to forward port 80 to the internal lan ip address of the computer running your webserver (Make sure your assign a static ip address etc) , if your running Win XP Pro, IIS is bundled and can be installed and configured through control panel > admin tools > Internet Informtation Services (IIS), otherwise use add/remove windows components to install IIS.

For more information in setup, config IIS see www.technet.com make sure your upto date with all security updates after installation.

Bear in mind that home adsl normally has a poor upload speed 256kbs so don't expect too much, but suppose it can be usefull. You may want to consider instead a dedicated hosting account, for far better performance without the security risks involved in running your own web server. I would look at the well priced packages available at www.titanhosts.co.uk

Hope that helps

Tim
Old 27 April 2004, 12:53 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

thanks sti. So far i have assigned the static ip address to my router/modem, and created a routing table to direct all port 80 traffic to my webserver. When i access the ip address over the web i get the router login, rather than the default webpage i'm expecting ?
Old 27 April 2004, 01:12 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

ok check on your router and see if your have either application or virtual servers options..

If you have then simply insert the internal LAN IP of your webserver here.

Open up IIS make sure the webserver (HTTP) is listening on port 80 and the internal static IP of your webserver

Test by opening up IE and typing:

HTTP://Your external ISP supplied IP Here

worth also pressing ctrl+F5 to request an uncached page

If your still having problems then let me know make/model of router etc

Tim
Old 27 April 2004, 01:19 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

For example:

Router IP Static: 192.168.0.10 mae sure the application/virtual server/tables forward all port 80 traffic to 192.168.0.1

Use Webserver IP Static: 192.168.0.1 (will enable you to still use the bundled ICS -internet connection sharing facility)

Make sure IIS is listen on port 80 on 192.168.0.1

You may have to change the ip address's if you have other computers running on the internal network .

Then if you have a Domain name registered for example YOURNAME.com contact your hosting/registrant and ask them to create a new host name LOCAL.YOURNAME.com give them your external static ip address provided by your ISP, wait for the DNS servers to update (allow 24hrs), then when your at any machine you will be able to access your home pc by host name without remembering your IP address.
Old 27 April 2004, 03:25 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

yes got that to work cheers, i had to get someone else to access the site from the net and it worked. shame you cant access it from your own lan.

Now onto trying to host a games server...for my son of course....