Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New xbox owner requires advice on dashboard??

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2004, 09:13 AM
AndyS44
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink New xbox owner requires advice on dashboard??

Ok, have a modded xbox - which dash should I use? Can I swapp between old and new?

Does the functionality change much between them? Links would be appreciated?

Any BB's recommended or good xbox related sites?

regards
Old 28 April 2004, 10:32 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Personally having used most of them, I have settled for Avalaunch. More so because of the huge benefits Qwix gives me over using FTP methods. The dash is more pleasing to the eye and has nice touches that make it stand out from the rest, such as EvolutionX. EvolutionX is lagging behind now and lacks basic functionality.

Take a look at www.xbox-scene.com and browse the forums on there too. There are forums for each dashboard so you can see the benefits/problems with each one and make an informed decision. Check the tutorials and you'll learn everything you need to know.

You can switch between dashboards (and the MS Dash) as you wish. This can be done in a number of ways, some of which being bios bank selection on your chip, startup dash selection or just plain old switching through one dash.
Old 28 April 2004, 10:56 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

lol Dunk, you should save your replies to these threads somewhere. It would save you having to type them out every few days

Used to use EvoX now using Avalaunch, v happy.
Old 28 April 2004, 11:00 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

A little OT, but having recently bought a non-modded XBox, I'm looking to mod it myself within the next month or so. I suspect I'll go with one of the Xecuter chips - does anyone have any experience with fitting these? How hard was it? I'd apreciate some advice if anyone would be so kind...

Also, with regard to Dashboards, and Bios's - once I mod the Xbox, assuming I flash the chip with a new Bios, and load a new dashboard, how can I get the original MS ones back if I decide to? I know MS are very strict when it comes to banning Modded X-Box's from "Live" so I'd rather I could switch the chip off, and have a "standard" Xbox when I want. Does loading a new Dash overwrite the MS one?

Finally (sorry guys!), can someone please explain the various "drives" to me - I know EvoX carries options to format various partitions (C:/ D:/ F:/ etc.) - what does each one carry?

Sorry again for taking this thread a little OT...

K.
Old 28 April 2004, 11:01 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

(I have looked at www.xbox-scene.com by the way, but I didn't find it especially friendly for a "Newbie" - sorry if I'm covering old ground )

K.
Old 28 April 2004, 12:20 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

LOL Matt

I suspect I'll go with one of the Xecuter chips - does anyone have any experience with fitting these? How hard was it? I'd apreciate some advice if anyone would be so kind...
Piece of cake. With the solderless one, you can have your cake and eat it Installation guides can be found on their website (www.teamxecuter.com)

Also, with regard to Dashboards, and Bios's - once I mod the Xbox, assuming I flash the chip with a new Bios, and load a new dashboard, how can I get the original MS ones back if I decide to? I know MS are very strict when it comes to banning Modded X-Box's from "Live" so I'd rather I could switch the chip off, and have a "standard" Xbox when I want. Does loading a new Dash overwrite the MS one?
The modifed bios can be set to load a different executable for different dashes. For example, it can be set to load avadash.xbe first instead of the standard xboxdash.xbe

Once the chip is switched off, provided you haven't overwritten the original xboxdash.xbe file, the original dash will load because its using the XBox's TSOP and the MS Bios.

Finally (sorry guys!), can someone please explain the various "drives" to me - I know EvoX carries options to format various partitions (C:/ D:/ F:/ etc.) - what does each one carry?
C: Xbox system files
D: DVD-Rom
E: Game saves/small space for apps or emulators
F: Main storage space
G: Optional drive, only available if your hd is 137+ gigs
H: through O: Memory card drives, 2 for each controller
X: Cache files
Y: Cache files
Z: Cache files
Old 28 April 2004, 12:27 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that

Any idea's as to the best place to get a solderless Xecuter chip from then?!

K.

Trending Topics

Old 28 April 2004, 12:38 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Pay a visit to the bald one . . . .

http://www.baldbouncer.co.uk/
Old 28 April 2004, 01:06 PM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Or http://www.divineo.co.uk

You want the Xecuter 2.3b Lite Plus...
Old 28 April 2004, 03:34 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

My mate chipped my xbox a couple of weeks ago and we installed evox on it which was a good dash but didn't "look" all that so I switched over to Avalaunch the other day and im very happy with it. Avalaunch looks a lot slicker and professional especially with the red skin. I like the revolving cube icons in the games menu and the real-time news feed across the bottom of the screen (got mine set to the BBC feed)
Old 28 April 2004, 03:45 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lads, other than playing "backup" games what do you use your modded XBoxes for?

Also, I assume you have to disable the mod to play !Live games?

Stefan (trying to get his head around XBox modding)
Old 28 April 2004, 03:52 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

I use mine for watching films (divx, xvid etc) . . . playing back MP3's streaming over wireless or from the HDD . . . listening to shoutcast streams . . . using emulators . . . viewing image collections streamed from PC . . . playing online without Live . . . you can even browse the web using Linksboks.

Install Linux and you can do whatever you want.

Yes, you should disbale the mod before using Live.
Old 28 April 2004, 03:54 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool. Trying to convince my younger brother that we should try the mod. I might use mine as a guinea-pig rather than his
Old 28 April 2004, 03:58 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

I use it as a all-in-one media centre it plays DVD's, VCD's, CD's and MP3's in the xbox or across the network from my PC, I’ve got nearly 20Gb of music on my PC so I use the xbox as a jukebox really. It also plays Internet radio, gives news feeds and weather reports lol. Just get your self the 5.1 output cable and plug it into you hifi/home cinema system and bob's your uncle.

P.S it also plays game to