Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PC Mag votes OS X Panther as Operating System of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2004, 09:32 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking PC Mag votes OS X Panther as Operating System of the Year

Despite being released in October 2003 — and overlooking the fact that there are nearly seven months left in the year — PC Magazine has named the Windows version of the iTunes media player and Music Store as its "Software Newcomer of the Year." With the only gripe being the so-called proprietary encoding of iTunes tracks, PC Mag has nothing but good things to say about the software, calling it "impressive, handy and easy to use," and of course, noting its great looks.

"Apple makes Windows apps about as often as Microsoft ships bug-free products, and if iTunes for Windows is any indication, that's a crying shame."

The magazine also lists Mac OS X Panther as its operating system of the year (in the 'Bare Necessities' category), saying "we hope Microsoft is paying attention as it works on the next Windows."

Its so true as well
Old 03 June 2004, 10:05 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Good result. Apple should make a PC operating system. I'd switch.
Old 03 June 2004, 10:29 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

In all honesty I really hope they don't. Apple machines and OSX are so good because they are built for each other. I think that we may see a couple more of the iLife products making their way to PC though. Things like iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband are completely unmatched in the PC world. This could be a good move for Apple because it could give PC users a taste of what they are missing.
Old 03 June 2004, 10:31 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that is so true.

But I still have one major criticism with Apple - they make fantastic products, but your forced into buying their brand for everything.

Think it's about time they offered their OS X on Intel and AMD platforms and give companies who've already invested in PC's a viable alternative. Linux of the destop certainly isn't IMHO.

But again, there's just so many hardware out there for PC's that they might end up with Microsofts problems. There is something to be said about building full hardware and software solutions - at least you know they should be 100% compatible.

Stefan
Old 03 June 2004, 10:37 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
But again, there's just so many hardware out there for PC's that they might end up with Microsofts problems. There is something to be said about building full hardware and software solutions - at least you know they should be 100% compatible.

Stefan
That is exactly my worry, if they were to move to X86 then they will just end as another Microsoft.

3rd party wise though, most things still work, for instance we are going to get that X800 card later this year. All my peripherals work without drivers (camera, scanner, printer etc) The new G5's are built to handle upgrades, now that PCI-X is included with empty bays and space for 4 HD's. The next gen G5 allegedly supports PCI Express too.
Old 03 June 2004, 11:10 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

That is good news. I hate windows at it takes up to much memory. Now after using PC's all my life I'm looking at a Powerbook. This does indeed inspire confidence in changing.
Old 03 June 2004, 11:13 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine switched to a Powerbook, he hated Macs. He bought a Powerbook 4 weeks back, really didn't like it that much at first. I told him to stick with it. Now he would swap his mother for it, can't put it down and is singing the praises of OSX to everyone and anyone.

It really is worth making the switch.
Old 03 June 2004, 11:55 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

The dual processor IBM i'm sat at will be replaced by a dual processor Mac. It's done a great job the last six/seven years coping with everything I've thrown at it so no complaints, just fancy a change. I don't play PC games, just edit video and pictures, browse the web and pick up email. No great rush to replace it at the moment - apart from the bloody loud fans - G5's should have dropped in price enough for me by the time this thing kicks the bucket, hopefully the new one will last me as long as this old workhorse.
Old 03 June 2004, 12:55 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Jack, if you are video editing you can't go wrong with a G5. Especially with Final Cut Pro / Express and Motion on the way. I use After Effects, FCP and DVD Studio along with Photoshop, Illustrator and a Analogue ~ DV convertor. 90% of the time all these programmes are open at the same time and it runs like a dream.

The G5 processors are made by IBM and Apples build quality is second to none so the longevity should be pretty much guaranteed.
Old 03 June 2004, 01:29 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

"Apple makes Windows apps about as often as Microsoft ships bug-free products, and if iTunes for Windows is any indication, that's a crying shame."
The obviously don't use the dog that is QuickTime for Windows
Old 03 June 2004, 05:08 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
just edit video and pictures, browse the web and pick up email. .
At last someone who uses the computer for the same as me!!! I don't play games because I can't and I don't see the point in them. IMO the outdoors is a better place to be, and its free.