Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Ok, lets talk cycle computers

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2004, 07:23 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, lets talk cycle computers

Ok ok, i'm a fat git and want to get my old mountain bike working again.

Trouble is my cycle computer is DEADED and i'm searching for a new one, but in true IT geek / Impreza Driver style I want one which records a mass of data which I can hook up to my pc and record my progress through time etc.

Anyone know of any, i'm guessing they're gonna be seriously expensive, so failing that i'm after something which gives the usual Cycle puter stuff as well as heart monitor and also that he sensors are all cordless/wireless.

I'm sure there are some cycle fanatics on here

Perhaps we can arrange the first annual scoobynet cycle ride for charity, i dunno, its summer, get on your bikes guys! (and no thats not a metaphor)
Old 03 June 2004, 07:43 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UHF
Ok ok, i'm a fat git and want to get my old mountain bike working again.

Trouble is my cycle computer is DEADED and i'm searching for a new one, but in true IT geek / Impreza Driver style I want one which records a mass of data which I can hook up to my pc and record my progress through time etc.

Anyone know of any, i'm guessing they're gonna be seriously expensive, so failing that i'm after something which gives the usual Cycle puter stuff as well as heart monitor and also that he sensors are all cordless/wireless.

I'm sure there are some cycle fanatics on here

Perhaps we can arrange the first annual scoobynet cycle ride for charity, i dunno, its summer, get on your bikes guys! (and no thats not a metaphor)
I got a 'Sigma Sport BC 1200 + RDS', which cost about £25 from eBay, it records all the usual stats you expect ie Max Speed, Avg Speed, Duration, Tripometer, Odometer etc..........
Old 03 June 2004, 08:01 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends how much money you want to spend. You can buy the cyclist versions of the Polar heart rate monitors which allow you to add candence and speed sensors to any road/mountain bike.

Alternatively you could buy a Timex Speed/Distance/HRM that uses a GPS armband to record speed, distance + heart rate.

Don't know of any traditional cycle computers (Cat Eye, Sigma, etc..) that will actully record lots of accurate data and download them to a PC.

I have a Polar HRM and the Timex kit. Polar is by far the best kit and if they did an accurate GPS speed/distance system they'd win hands down.

Stefan
Old 03 June 2004, 08:11 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

are you saying that the Timex GPS doesnt work too well?

I had a search, I completely didnt realise that there was a GPS side to these, makes a lot more sense than measuring the rotations on a wheel.

Garmin Forerunner 201 GPS seems to be quite sexy
Old 03 June 2004, 08:46 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UHF
makes a lot more sense than measuring the rotations on a wheel.
why?, this is the principle car speedos work (all be it via the gearbox)
Old 03 June 2004, 08:54 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

No, the Timex works extremely well and is very accurate. I use it daily for running, cycling or even hill running. Like all GPS it can have weak signals in built-up areas, but even running through forests I've hardly lost any signal.

It's just that compared to the Polar watches it lacks a lot of features. You also need to buy a seperate data recorder, whereas my Polar watch logs everything itself.

Also, the Timex data recorder has a small memory (192Kb), so when you monitor heart rate (every 2 secs), together with speed and distance it only logs about 1.5hrs.

Considering my long runs are 2hrs+ and hill runs 4hrs+ I usually have to carry two watches. Polar to log heart rate + Timex to log speed & distance. I did plan on selling my Polar, but given the Timex's lack of some functions I'll keep the two for now.

Also the Polar kit is very specific i.e. cyclist or heart rate. They do a speed/distance model, but it's based on counting foot steps

If they made a GPS unit (pretty cheap & easy to do nowadays), they could have the ultimate kit. I mean Garmin make the GPS unit for Timex, so there's minimal R&D.

Depends if you want a go anywhere, do anything solution or just one built for cycling.

Stefan

Last edited by ozzy; 03 June 2004 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03 June 2004, 08:55 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

true but this is more geeky and if I ever decide to run I can use it then too.

Hey, I could even time my trip to work in the car and then see it on the pc screen

Trending Topics

Old 03 June 2004, 08:59 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

If you can afford it, I'd go with a GPS solution.

Polar heart rate monitors are the best I've come across. Just make sure you get one that uses Infra-Red to download the data and not the cr@p sonic-link ones that use a PC MIC.

I have the Polar 610i & the Timex Ironman watches. Polar was around £160 and the Timex was more like £300 after you buy the watch, hrm strap, GPS unit & data recorder.

Stefan
Old 03 June 2004, 09:02 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I originally wanted to overlay heart rate data with speed & distance but it's not working out as well as I wanted.

Recently I've considered getting a GPS unit given the amount of times I spend in the Scottish mountains. I can use it to set routes, monitor speed, distance & even altitude. The only thing I'm not sure of is what can be downloaded to a PC.

Stefan