Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XBOX & DIVX

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2004, 05:57 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XBOX & DIVX

I have a modded xbox with executor and was wondering if anyone knows if it'll play a DIVX movie file.

if so what type of disc to burn it on i.e. cdr ,cdrw ,dvd-r etc and would I just have to burn it as a data disc

Phil
Old 04 June 2004, 06:36 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

You need XBox Media Player (XBMP) or XBox Media Centre (XBMC) to playback divx files You can then play media files from HDD, Network, Internet, DVD (ISO9660), CD-RW or CD-R.

If you already have the above then a normal ISO9660 CD-RW or DVD-R will do. CD-R too depending on what DVD drive is fitted.
Old 04 June 2004, 06:48 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

thanks mate, I've already got the media centre stuff installed, so I'll give it a go on cdr before trying DVD

Phil
Old 06 June 2004, 11:22 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I play all my Divx off the LAN using XBMC. Works *very* well. I rip my own DVDs to DivX and use the original AC3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) soundtrack. XBox feeds AV amp with dig sound exactly as the orig DVD would. If you encode at a high enough Bit Rate the picture is indistinguishable aswell.

There is 2Gb file size limit in XBMP/XBMC though. So longer films (LOTR etc) get split into 2.

Deano
Old 06 June 2004, 08:50 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

I dont have a problem with DVD's as I back up my own personal collection to DVD-r complete with menus etc.

I did have a divx file that I needed to view and it seemed to work ok through the xbox.

I've never really got the hang of the xbox capabilities really and I can even FTP it even though its connected to a network hub , and the live connection is crap, i.e. it disconnects after 10-20 mins.

I'm ok with pc's , building, networking etc but for some rason I cant sort the xbox out.

I wanted to put a BIG Hdd in it , but even after reading instructions on how to do it . I'm still baffled

phil
Old 08 June 2004, 09:17 AM
richieh
Scooby Regular

big hd is easy
use slayers auto install disc -comes with a big hard drive set up utility
real easy
richie