Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iTunes Music Store finally coming

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2004, 03:35 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iTunes Music Store finally coming

Apple announce a press conference next Tuesday promising that

"The Biggest Story in Music is About to Get Bigger"

A reference to some "new software" has convinced many (including me ) that ITMS is finally arriving.

Sounds like next Tuesday will be a good day
Old 07 June 2004, 03:50 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Does sound like ITMS for UK/Europe.

What really takes the pish is that Canada has not got ITMS yet, and it's not like Canada is that far away from the US.
Old 07 June 2004, 03:58 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Doesn't Canada have that funny law though. It's legal to download music off p2p so long as you pay tax on the device you play it on. The tax goes to the record label.

So really ITMS would be pretty pointless there if that was the case, you would end up paying twice for your music.
Old 07 June 2004, 06:38 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

oooooooooooooh, you seen the new Airport Express with the new 'AirTunes' thingy, v v cool indeed.

Canadian laws are that you can download or copy for personal use, but you can't share/sell/whatever the items you have copied/downloaded. Even still, I think it is still a bit of a grey area.
Old 07 June 2004, 06:51 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
oooooooooooooh, you seen the new Airport Express with the new 'AirTunes' thingy, v v cool indeed.
So very, very good. Even the anti-mac PC brigade on here can use it, fully compatible with Windows!

Best product this year, could be an absolute revolution! No doubt it will take some time to make it out over here though.

I can't believe it supports Dolby Digital 5.1 too

There have been lots and lots of people wanting something like this for some time.

* note requirement of iTunes 4.6 to work, another update on its way then.
Old 07 June 2004, 07:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Mate of mine is happy as he can use it with his x-box for 'live' which has cheered him up no end. think I'll get one as well. I've got two airport equiped G4's which I have been known to cart around for demos, and this would make networking the buggers much easier, plus look totally cool.

Yeah, noticed the 4.6 disclaimer, having a sniff around and can't find it (not even on the premier developers site! tsk tsk)

The optical thing is 'interesting' looking at the tech specs, it's a standard audio jack, and umm, well, how do you plug an optical cable into that, all the optical cables I have are square ended and certainly not like your usual 'headphone jack' type of connector.

Last edited by Markus; 07 June 2004 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07 June 2004, 07:23 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I thought that. My DD connector is your typical square optical connector. Maybe the images shown so far aren't final. Unlikely but possible.

Premier developers site eh? Fancy popping me your password?

In better news, its just made it to the UK page, woo yay, will be ordering it as soon as it hits the store
Old 07 June 2004, 07:26 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

OK its there, ordered
Old 07 June 2004, 07:29 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Oh, at the D conference. SJ just announced that ITMS is official for next Tuesday and that an updated version of iTunes will be released later today.
Old 07 June 2004, 07:54 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

The optical thing is 'interesting' looking at the tech specs, it's a standard audio jack, and umm, well, how do you plug an optical cable into that, all the optical cables I have are square ended and certainly not like your usual 'headphone jack' type of connector.
Upon further inspection it appears there is an optional Monster conversion kit / adapter pack for this.

See here
Old 07 June 2004, 08:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

ooh, monster mini to tos link, that's the bugger! wonder if you can get that separatley? hmm, looking at the monster site, but can't see it

I've been reading the /. article on it and all the usual mac haters are doing their usual thing lol. Most seem to going on and on about the AirTunes thing and have not picked up it's a blooming cheapo airport extreme base station, supporting up to 10 client machines. I dunno, some people.
Old 07 June 2004, 08:10 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

ooh, monster mini to tos link, that's the bugger! wonder if you can get that separatley? hmm, looking at the monster site, but can't see it

I've been reading the /. article on it and all the usual mac haters are doing their usual thing lol. Most seem to going on and on about the AirTunes thing and have not picked up it's a blooming cheapo airport extreme base station, supporting up to 10 client machines. I dunno, some people.
I couldn't find it in the store either, that link is on a tile on the Express product page. Someone else pointed it out.

Over at slashdot, I suppose its what keeps these PC users sane. It must really annoy them, Apple releasing all these cool things
Old 07 June 2004, 11:11 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Most portable MiniDisc recorders use a 3.5mm combined analogue copper and digital optical jack.

A 3.5mm to TOSLINK (square) optical lead (last item on page)