Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mobile phone question...

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2004, 01:54 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Mobile phone question...

It's about about time to update the mobile...
Erisscon (yes that's right NOT SonyEricsson ) A1018a - just got newer one for the missus Sagem MYX2 - about the size of the battery on the old one

Anyway having not used them much, I fancy the looks and features of the S/E T610 ~ £80ish on ebay and £114 in INDEX.

I'm not really up to paying quite ( ) that much. What features are genuinely useful and what are gimicks?

PAYG suits me and my current O2 SIM ideally would transfer... seems a much better call cost than wifeys T-Mobile for low usage...

Any advice appreciated...

S/H phone is fine... but how to avoid stolen ones? - there must be loads of genuine ones out there due to providers offering upgrades all the time.

Cheers

Mick
Old 24 June 2004, 02:13 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to test a phone to see if it stolen unless you can get your hands on it.

Each phone has an EMEI number (bit like a car chassis number) - and this number *should* get reported to the police when it is stolen, and then network providers should blackhole that emei number making the phone useless.

Sounds great in principle, but.

Not all service providers blackhole stolen EMEI's - they want call revenue

The EMEI can be changed without too much effort.
If an EMEI has been changed - this is called "cloning" as your phone now has the identity of another (not stolen & probabily in service) phone. This can cause problems if both phones are on the same network - fairly unlikely tho.

Some providers (orange and a others) "lock" their phones so they will only accept their own SIM's - unlocking a phone is a really simple process, and there's usually a bloke down your local market who'll do it for you for a fiver

In short - when buying a 2nd hand phone, take your SIM along and make sure it works. . . .

Hope this cleared a few things up
BK
Old 24 June 2004, 07:10 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

Smile

it's not EMEI! it's IMEI

have a look at www.fwdcellular.com for their "rent free" fones.
Old 24 June 2004, 07:14 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

LOL I knew what I meant ;-)

other than the typo I think it's correct
Old 24 June 2004, 11:16 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Mobile phone contracts seem incredibly complex... every time you see a seemingly reasonable offer, when you look at the small print (and I mean small ) there are all sorts of horrible terms appearing...

I'd much rather stay with a PAYG and know how much I am paying & also if I lose a £30 phone I'm not going to be biled for £250 !!!

Also advice on useful phone fetures would be useful...

Ta

Mick
Old 24 June 2004, 11:41 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I've a T610 - it's a nice phone - not without it's niggles though (can't see screen in daylight & "increaseing ring" doesn't work. Some minor compatability problems with bluetooth headsets also..

I'd sitck with Nioka if I were you, because there's loads of em & you can get hold of em cheaply.