Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How to make my new PC internet safe?

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2004, 08:34 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to make my new PC internet safe?

I've just spent £1500 on a all singing all dancing PC and soon I'll be switching the broadbrand connection from this machine to the new one. What do I need to make my new machine fully internet safe as I have been pretty relaxed with this PC and it has had is fair share of problems/attacks. I want my new computer to be armed to the teeth against invasive websites, popups, viruses and spyware. I guess I need a good firewall and a good anti-viruses package.

Is there free downloadable programmes that work well enough or can anyone recommend an off the shelf item(s)?

Cheers
Old 12 July 2004, 08:47 AM
CTR
Scooby Regular

The free version of zonealarm is an excellent firewall IMO, dunno about anti virus software.
Old 12 July 2004, 08:49 AM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I've just spent £1500 on a all singing all dancing PC and soon I'll be switching the broadbrand connection from this machine to the new one. What do I need to make my new machine fully internet safe as I have been pretty relaxed with this PC and it has had is fair share of problems/attacks. I want my new computer to be armed to the teeth against invasive websites, popups, viruses and spyware. I guess I need a good firewall and a good anti-viruses package.

Is there free downloadable programmes that work well enough or can anyone recommend an off the shelf item(s)?

Cheers
I use Norton Internet Security, amongst other components it contains, a Virus Checker/Remover, Software Firewall, Anti-Spam, Anti-PopUp. You can download a trial version from Symantec, but here in lies the problem, you need to get online to get it.......

I would also recommmend a hardware firewall as well
Old 12 July 2004, 09:05 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

I use sygate personal firewall probably about the same as zone alarm and I run AVG anti-virus, I dont get viruses very often and if I do they get detected, however even with all this spybot still finds occasional stuff which is worrying but thats normally when I accidently venture onto the web with IE. A colleague runs mcafee which does a good job as does norton. I think you need to pay really, the free stuff is OK but you can hardly beat them over head if it doesnt work can you? I would either run IE with all the patches applied and maximum security or choose a different browser cos its got more holes than a second dartboard.

Gary
Old 12 July 2004, 09:22 AM
molko
Scooby Regular

If you are running WinXP Pro, i have cd with all the service pack and patches that you can have, i would recommend running it before you go online
Old 12 July 2004, 09:28 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

I have just made mine [hopefully] 100% Stealth Mode Kenny, after getting it back from repairers.
Anti Virus
Sophos Evaluation AntiVirus http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

Spyware
SpyBot http://safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
SpySweeper http://www.webroot.com/wb/downloads/index.php
Firewall - Sygate http://smb.sygate.com

I also downloaded
SpyWareBlaster http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
SpywareGuard www.javacoolsoftware.com
The Three Musketeers http://www.grc.com/default.htm

I ran a test from this site https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and it verified I was in pure stealth mode
Old 12 July 2004, 02:38 PM
NicoRossi
Scooby Regular

Redkop gave a nice comprehensive list of anti-spyware software; I fully recommend Spybot S&D and AdAware.

For anti-virus stuff, I use the excellent AntiVir Guard to monitor my PC for viruses at all times. I fully recommend this as it's both free and updated pretty much every day. You can get this from here. It runs a lot quicker than any of the Norton software (quite frankly I find the Norton software a nuisance - more efficient software can be found for free) and runs in real-time, checking your PC at all times for any malicious intrusions, at no noticeable loss to overall computer performance.

In terms of firewall, I recommend Kerio Personal Firewall (also free), which can be located here.

All the best with the new computer.
Old 12 July 2004, 02:47 PM
GaryScoobNCBR
Scooby Regular

the best tip i can give you is not to use Internet Explorer, use mozilla firefox instead, this will keep away most spyware, hijacks etc
Old 12 July 2004, 02:51 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The above advice is very, very good. You could have all the anti-everything software you like installed and can _still_ be infected if you keep running IE.
Old 12 July 2004, 05:43 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the advice and links guys I'll switch the broadband over tonight and get the new machine protected
Old 12 July 2004, 05:53 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

No, get it protected first then switch to broadband
Old 12 July 2004, 05:58 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

as long as you dont download much you should be ok with the built in firewall and some AV software
Old 12 July 2004, 06:21 PM
NicoRossi
Scooby Regular

Yes, I was just going to echo Steven's comments - as soon as you put broadband on, make sure you install SP1 and the other myriad of fixes on the Windows update site; IE leaks quite badly without it and the other fixes (and still does after I might add ).

Then use another browser, I use Opera but have heard good things also about Mozilla's Firefox - you can't go wrong with either.
Old 12 July 2004, 06:56 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

10 ways to a safer pc:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1598
Old 12 July 2004, 08:16 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL, protecting it first is very chicken and the egg. Having played around on the net for the last X amount of years I'm fairly confident it'll be ok to hook broadband up, go to this thread and follow the links. I'm not stopping off at www.dirtylittlehos.com or anything silly like that
Old 12 July 2004, 10:21 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Sigh, well it didn't quite go according to plan Somewhere in the process of downloading 'protection' stuff it went very wrong. I downloaded Kiero but it didn't load up correctly on restart (not that it told me!) and then I downloaded anti-virus stuff and started to download Red's suggested anti-spyware stuff. Now I.E. has been corrupted with 'mybar' (a bit like a google bar) and I can't figure out how to get rid of that, the computer won't let me shut down internet explorer windows without force quitting and generally the computer is running like a dog Somewhere in the process a whole load of nasty **** has found its way in and now I can't get it off.

Suggestions welcome

Last edited by LG John; 12 July 2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12 July 2004, 10:53 PM
l3wyy
Scooby Regular

Yo, if your running XP, look at the new service pack 2, its got a pretty cool and updated firewall, I'm beta testing through my company for them, AV....loads about, but make sure you keep your OS patch levels up to date. Laters.
Old 12 July 2004, 11:29 PM
Chris_
Scooby Regular

Redkop has posted a link to one of the most respected companies for internet security on the net, "Gibson Research". Once you have sorted your computer and protected it check it out by linking to the ShieldsUp page and test your computer for any weakneses.
Old 13 July 2004, 08:25 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Given my computer is so new and I have put pretty much nothing on it is there a lot of hassle in totally wiping the harddrive and starting fresh?? I tried the system restore but it just restarted with all the programmes (good and bad) that I had downloaded. Can I easily get it back to the way it was when I unpacked it at the end of last week?
Old 13 July 2004, 10:06 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Testing ones firewall isn't going to do jack **** if you're already compromised - this is why it's pretty much imperative to lock down your machine before it goes online. Doesn't take very long as you can see!
Old 13 July 2004, 10:12 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Is there an option to reformat your hard drive from the system restore disk?
Old 14 July 2004, 12:16 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

We're cooking now I did a destructive system restore to put the computer back to how it left the factory and then I re-loaded the few bits of software I'd loaded since I got the machine starting with a firewall which I went out and bought for that piece of mind. My Creative speakers even arrived today and are set up so fingers crossed the computer is up and running now. I think I might be waking my neighbours with the music as these puppies are pretty loud!

Cheers for the help peeps