Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Crashing XP

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2004, 01:56 AM
brendy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashing XP

Have a system with repeatedly crashing XP - now running for 2 1/2 years without any major problems.
Have managed to save all relevant files on Cd as backup but can find no problems on error log and no virus on system.
Would I be best to wipe system as I have all relevant files and begin again??
Opinions appreciated.
Old 18 August 2004, 04:47 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had similar problems and lots of advice on this issue, so only seems fair to try and help out.

you say there is no error logs? How do you mean crashing? Slowing down, program hangs, switching off altogether?

Electronic stuff does actually benefit from being taken apart, connections cleaned, dust removed, and put back together. Mine was playing up, and it was swamped with dust, and the thermal grease had seen better days on the HSF, after a 'service' - (cleaned with compressed air, removed RAM, vid-card, and all other hardware, cleaned connections, removed dust, and replaced) - format and fresh install it's all tickety-boo.

It could be a myriad of things causing the instablity, often it's not the software but the hardware, something no longer working well, or on it's way out..Plus hot weather can make the wee things overheat, and computers like cars dont' like getting too hot. This made worse by lots of dust...When it got very hot, quite a few people in here were getting stablity problems.

You can't do any harm by re-installing XP and some people have advised doing it 6-12 months, but I would be inclined to check all the other alternatives then re-installing. If there are any hardware problems, then they will be causing problems while you install too. Also I think you can do the system repair thing, when you set the PC to boot from CD in BIOS, as if you were going to do a fresh install, the consol asks you if you want to repair current install - I have used this in past and sorted problems. But if you're backed up, it's not massively quicker than a fresh install, and formating does give you a clean slate to work with.

Plenty of computer experts in here - wiser than I who might be able to help more.

Last edited by mynickers; 18 August 2004 at 04:53 AM.