Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Job interviews, grrrr!

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2004, 05:28 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Job interviews, grrrr!

Just got back from a job interview where I was asked some technical questions by a member of staff who was a "technical genius".

One of the questions was "if you have a process running on your server that is taking up all your CPU time, how would you find out what the application was?". My first answer of "why on earth would there be an unidentified process running on my server?" didn't go down at all well

He then tied me in knots about SQL (his field of expertise) but then didn't like me pointing out that his "server room" looked like a rats nest and that his entire operation was running off a server with one PSU balanced on top of a small rack and that it was 28 degrees and the AC unit was pumping out warm air.

I don't think I'll be needing to hand my notice in at my current job...
Old 19 August 2004, 05:30 PM
WRX-Mark
Scooby Regular

you should have made the comments about the state of the server room to his boss!
Old 19 August 2004, 05:31 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I did
Old 19 August 2004, 05:45 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one I had an interview a bit like that at Bush House in Holborn four years ago for the BBC. Their technical test was a badly photocopied, full-of-typos, badly written joke (I remember laughing when I saw their code), and so was the failed psychiatrist from HR who constantly asked me how I handled office conflicts. They also kept me waiting for 30 minutes prior, and told me if I was successful I'd actually be taking a pay _cut_ since "people want to work for the BBC more than they want the salary".

Gosh, how up their own backsides they were
Old 19 August 2004, 11:17 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

If you are in london and handy with *nix/oracle you may want to pm me. Have vacancy. Clerkenwell/Farringdon location.

Steve
Old 20 August 2004, 06:11 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I went for an interview years ago with Deutsche Bank in the City. I was being interview by a couple of Arbitrage traders, one of whom had been a techie who'd moved into trading.

They asked me what would I do if I had 2 equally urgent jobs that both would take half an hour, but you only had half an hour to do them.

They didn't accept any of my answers about priotising, working twice as hard etc. To this day I'm still puzzled as to what they expected me to say - "Instantly invent a time machine and get both jobs done in the half hour required" perhaps?
Old 20 August 2004, 06:49 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Just got back from a job interview where I was asked some technical questions by a member of staff who was a "technical genius".

BOFH there then is all I can say!

I don't think I'll be needing to hand my notice in at my current job...

You got bored with being the MD then Rev ?

Trending Topics

Old 20 August 2004, 07:47 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevem2k
If you are in london and handy with *nix/oracle you may want to pm me. Have vacancy. Clerkenwell/Farringdon location.

Steve
Cheers for the offer, but I'm oop north and can barely spell Oracle

Vulnax, nah mate, still the MD but balancing current income against current outgoings
Old 20 August 2004, 09:40 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Talking

They asked me what would I do if I had 2 equally urgent jobs that both would take half an hour, but you only had half an hour to do them.
Tell both to **** off and tie their own shoelaces/blow their own noses/wipe their own bottoms - as they are obviously not qualified to conduct job interviews

mb
Old 20 August 2004, 10:13 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I wouldn't go for any job that required you to attend an interview..
Old 20 August 2004, 10:32 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

At least you did get asked the w4nky questions I get asked at advertising agencies:

If you were a fruit what would you be and why? A: Well you'd be a freaking plum for asking me that - right?

The other favourite is the same as above but making the analogy as an animal - I always refuse to answer - I am not a natural history expert, I understand the concept of analogy and lateral thinking, but ask me the habits of your average animal and I draw a blank - and they tell me - 'I'm a tiger grrrr' doesn't go down well.

The worst one: "did you have a pet when you were a child" A: I'm leaving now, thanks for wasting my time!
Old 20 August 2004, 10:56 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

My favourite when I have interviewed other people is to sit them down, get them tea/coffee, chit chat about the weather and then go for the throat - "so john, tell me about yourself" its simple, its nasty if you haven't prepared and if you have then you will excel. Remember, you are in an interview selling yourself into a position in a company so you should be prepared on yourself, the position and the company.

from what you have said of your SQL guy - sound like a techie wanted to w@nk off with "look how good I am and you aspire to us?" - poor interview technique on his part. Put it down to experience and move on!
Old 21 August 2004, 08:51 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
from what you have said of your SQL guy - sound like a techie wanted to w@nk off with "look how good I am and you aspire to us?" - poor interview technique on his part.
Totally, I come across his type ALL the time. He probably eats, sleeps and breathes computers, personally I think they're evil, I just happen to have an affinity with the damn things but I would never, ever describe computers as my hobby which a lot of techies think is a little strange "you've never been to a LAN party?!!!!????!?"
Old 21 August 2004, 04:30 PM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

One of the questions was "if you have a process running on your server that is taking up all your CPU time, how would you find out what the application was?". My first answer of "why on earth would there be an unidentified process running on my server?" didn't go down at all well
The answer may not have gone down well as it could have been construed that it demonstrated:

1. Arrogance
2. An inability to accept the possibility of making an error or admitting to making an error
3. A lack of courtesy and general smart-arsedness

which may not be character traits that would endear a candidate to an interviewer or make a particularly desirable employee
Old 21 August 2004, 04:35 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately Lee, I am arrogant, I don't make errors and I am a smart ****. I'd already decided by that point that this wasn't the job for me
Old 21 August 2004, 06:36 PM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

All's well that ends well.
Old 21 August 2004, 07:42 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
and that it was 28 degrees and the AC unit was pumping out warm air....
Our server room is hitting 28 at peak temp and Ive been pestering facilities mgmnt to sort the AC

Yesterday a drive cooked on the FastT600, now they are listening to me
Old 22 August 2004, 08:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I went to one place and the a/c was so good it had what appeared to be a glacier protruding from it !
Old 22 August 2004, 10:20 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

The 1/2 hour to do two 1/2 hour jobs is a crappy interview question. There is no right answer, it is just an attempt to see how well you think on your feet. It actually tells them very little.

I walked out of an interview for a job where the resident techie was trying to show off to the other interview panel how smart he was.

I just said "Give me a call when you want to interview me with people who want to find out about me, not to show off how clever they are".

Got a call that afternoon and attended another interview without this guy. Was offered the job but we couldn't agree terms in the end which was a shame.

Best job interview I ever went for was with EA Games in Slough (this was years ago) for a Web Admin job. Was just one guy and we just chatted about all sorts of random stuff over a couple of coffees. Really relaxed and I found I could sell myself a lot better in that situation. Didn't get that job though as I was not really qualified and I kind of knew it, but was a good experience anyway.

Cheers

Ian
Old 22 August 2004, 11:26 PM
Ubik
Scooby Regular

Location: Covered in stickers in the year of the HUGE concrete

Originally Posted by Jerome
Years ago I heard of an examination within a police force within the UK where the question asked what you (the officer being examined) would do first when you are on patrol and see;

There is a cat in a tree with a little girl trying to get it down, at that very moment there is a car accident involving the commisioners wife, a fire....etc etc

All sorts of things were supposed to be happening around the officer, which eventually involved lots of people running about screaming as every disaster you could think of occured.

The best reply was 'throw of my uniform and run around shouting like the rest them'.

Dont know if that officer got his promotion or whatever. The answer just stuck in my mind.
Old 24 August 2004, 09:00 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Myself I havent had any major exiting stories. But my mate had one where all they did was talk amongst themselves, err not the thing to do and then started arguing in the interview

one of interviews I talked with a guy about rugby for 50 minutes then the job for 10 and got that job. Another they basically said this is what we do, do you want the job?

Job i currently have now there was 3 interviewers, one asking personal questions, one asking managerial questions and another asking technical questions which I think was a good system.

I hate it when its just a HR bird for a technical job asking questions not related to the job at all....if you were a fruit what would you be?

Another thing is too many interviewers havent even looked at your cv before the interview starts and then start reading it in front you . NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Old 24 August 2004, 08:00 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210
Another thing is too many interviewers havent even looked at your cv before the interview starts and then start reading it in front you . NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Arrgggh!!! I've had that happen countless times. I'm expected to prepare, why can't they? Next time that happens, I'll get a book out (on interview techniques?) and say "just let me know when you're ready".