Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone done an MCSE for Windows 2003?

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2004, 09:31 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone done an MCSE for Windows 2003?

My sister works in tech support at the moment, but wants to study for her MCSE in Win 2003.

Anyone got any tips or done it before?

Where can she go to learn it in the NW?
Old 20 August 2004, 11:59 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

done similar things in the past - CNE, MCNE, MCSE (NT4) and now have been asked to do MCSE in 2003. Have my first official course next week in Leeds.

How clued-up on Windows desktop, server and networking is she?

There are 6 tests in total (possibly 7, depending on electives) and all can be studied using official study guides + other 3rd-party books. I think the full MS Press MCSE boos are around £100 if bought from somewhere like Amazon.

If she wanted to go and study it somewhere, then she'd need to attend offcial courses or some 3 week bootcamp thing.

Two lads here did there MCSD on a bootcamp, but it cost them £000's. My course next week is a 5-day Exchange one and is part of my MCSE elective. The course is costing the company £1420 + £500 accomodation/travel expenses for me alone.

We've bought around 20-days training from Microsoft as part of our Business Partner setup, but it's still going to costs a lot to train one person.

Depends how experienced and confident in MS she is. MS has a way of wording exams that doesn't always follow common sense. I spent years in IT install, support and consultancy and still wouldn't do some things the MS exams suggest. My only advice is to learn anything the MS way as told in any course and books.

There's also a few braindump sites which give you some actual exam questions and she could always buy some Transcender mock exams for extra practice.

Stefan
Old 20 August 2004, 12:12 PM
King RA
BANNED

If she does a 2000 MCSE she can upgrade it to 2003 by taking 1 exam. A much better way of doing it.
Old 20 August 2004, 02:09 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thanks dudes, have relayed the info with relpy as follows:

I don't know how clued up I am really. I know bits and bats from what I've learnt on the network here. Bits about setting up accounts, TCP/IP and DHCP etc...

I can't afford to do the boot camp either - they cost around 6 grand. The company I'm thinking of going with have a live server you can log onto to do practicals and things.

Do you know if it's expensive to upgrade to 2003?

I may be better doing 2000 because we use this at work anyway!
Any tips on that bit anyone?
Old 20 August 2004, 03:28 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hands on bits are good for refreshing memory, but a lot of the exam questions are scenario-based.

You don't have to do the full MCSE, so best picking something like the desktop exam and studying for that. Then sit the exam (she'll get an MCP) and then take it step-by-step.

Depends how quickly she wants/needs it. I did my CNE in 2 months (7 exams), but wouldn't recommend that way to anyone; not fun.

Workstation exam plays heavily on TCP/IP knowledge, so she'll have to concentrate a lot on the networking side. Some people just cram to pass the exams and come away knowing absolutely nothing practical. I've never used the exams as a method of learning anyway and only used the courses to ask particular questions from the instructors.

How much is the company she's looking at charging? There's usually a course per exam and each would cost around £1.5K. You can easily reach £6K, so someone offering an MCSE for a lot less has to be questioned on content.

Stefan