Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DVD home cinema

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2004, 01:58 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DVD home cinema

I have recently been given 200GBP to spend at comet through thier insurance.
Im not into home cinema so I dont really know what I can get for this.
Im willing to put about an extra 100GBP towards it for a nice system. (300GBP total)

So can anyone advise me what system to get for around that price?
I fancy the wireless rear speakers (any good?) and the VCD playback.

All advice welcome.

Scott
Old 20 August 2004, 02:55 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

I can't advise on what to buy from Comet but my experience of wireless speakers is that they are rubbish. The ones I have heard all tend to have background noise and some lose the signal quite easily.
Old 20 August 2004, 07:24 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

No way would I use wireless speakers for something like home cinema, its one area you want to keep sound clarity and quality and in my experience of any wireless audio device so far that just doenst happen.

200 quid will buy you a good entry level home cinema system using conventional wires

David
Old 22 August 2004, 05:26 PM
Hex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djuk
No way would I use wireless speakers for something like home cinema, its one area you want to keep sound clarity and quality and in my experience of any wireless audio device so far that just doenst happen.

200 quid will buy you a good entry level home cinema system using conventional wires

David
yes, agree with this - avoid wireless speaker for home cinema - they just arent up to it (the ones I've seen anyhow).

I purchased a Sony DAVS 550 DVD / 5.1 amp for around £350 6 months ago so you should be able to get them for around £250-£300 ish now - if not cheaper.

The Sony DAVS 550 is a great performer for the money, and has more than you need for most home cinema installs - ours is connected to a Sony projector and 100" screen and performs brillianly. Only downside is music cd's - which it just doenst do well.

So in short - put some money towards it and get something like the DAVS550

Hope this helps

Neil
Old 22 August 2004, 06:09 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

Echo about about wireless, wireless if fine for small amounts of data (keyboards, mouses, broad band is a bit different). But Audio sound at this leve of technology you are very likely to loose quality, and the whole point of SS is to improve sound - and it will greatly - you'll be very impressed most people are - even my misses was!

I built my own home cin system with Yamaha amp and B&W satalites and hooj Eltax bass bin (it's very, very loud). But I know a couple of people with all in one Sony systems who are very happy with them. The person in question has one, where the amp is in the bass unit, and the bass unit plugs straight into DVD which outputs digital pro logic. You'll be very happy with results, but will never be as good as a dedicated prologic amp/encounder (IMO) but it does depend what you want. I can hardly use mine, it's too loud and upsets everyone.

Fanastic with car games though, rumble strips make the room shake, and you can hear cars coming up behind you without needing to look in the rear view.

THey haven't got a lot of choice on the website, this one looks pretty good value vs what you get.

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/182_201375.html

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/182_203327.html

Does depend on the size of your room though, you'd probably get pretty good results with this, and you'll get some change - but you will need stands and stuff on top.

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/182_194018.html

Last edited by mynickers; 22 August 2004 at 06:13 PM.