Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone know what TEST.OCX is??

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2004, 08:53 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Anyone know what TEST.OCX is??

My Norton antivirus keeps picking this little swine up - TEST.OCX - and will not delete it, so anyone know what kind of file/virus this is or is it somekind of Norton test file.

Thanks for any help

Lea
Old 20 August 2004, 09:02 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google was not 100% conclusive with text.ocx as a virus/spyware due to its name however, this was hit 2/3 - http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/a/adlogix.asp also contains removal advice
Old 21 August 2004, 08:56 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

test.ocx used to register 'foreign' ocx files...
get rid, normally associated with a trojan hiding on your system,
info on test.oc here
http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/t...in32_dia_a.asp

as usual check your anti virus / personal firewall software / windows update is all upto date & you have run a recent scan.

Tim
Old 22 August 2004, 10:21 AM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice chaps, I have a NEW copy of Norton internet security 2004 installed and can't understand how or where this as come from. Norton is updated automatically everytime I connect to the net, broadband connection!! I've searched for this file and cannot find it in the mentioned place, could it be hiding under a different name?

I also have ad-aware and thet also does not detect this file.

Lea

Last edited by BigRed; 22 August 2004 at 11:17 AM.
Old 22 August 2004, 01:48 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

do an online virus scan instead of using norton.

Do a google for housecall online virus scan
Old 22 August 2004, 02:42 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

There seem to be an awful lot of recent postings on here where a range of anti-virus and anti-adware appilcations don't see a virus or other infection.

I'm guessing that in some cases perhaps the machines are not fully patched to secure them but even so you'd think that the anti-virus writers would try a little harder.

In saying that it is also very difficult to keep a machine up to date and fully patched when you are on a dial up connection. I've become so used to broadband and having the machine patched as soon as the fix becomes available that it came as a shock and very real annoyance to me to have to sort out a friend's machine which is connected using only a very slow dial up.

I really think that MS need to start producing big security roll ups that can go on a CD and that will fix the user to the very latest version. If such a service were available I could download the roll up say every month and just post my friend the CD (she lives very far away) thus ensuring she was protected. Sounds simple really, but I'm sure MS have some marketing image branding bull reason why they will not bother doing it.