Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Can't run Regedit.exe

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2004, 07:06 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can't run Regedit.exe

Nor can I install or remove programs (because I'm locked out of regedit?) Running Win2000 with McAfee. I Suspect it could be a virus problem as I found ntsys32.exe and musirc4.72.exe in the winnt directory. Ran McAfee and removed them now and trying to restart my Sygate firewall - I switched it off and forgot

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 26 August 2004, 08:28 PM
Nicks VR4
Scooby Regular

Found this on another forum
Might help you (but dont flame me if it dont )

One trick that AVERT has discovered is to rename the registry editing programs from their original .EXE to a .COM extension. This will by pass the limitations created by removing the trojan prior to editing the registry. For example, in Windows 95/98, the registry can be loaded and edited using the program named REGEDIT.EXE while in Windows NT, you use REGEDT32.EXE. Rename these to a .COM extension and they will still execute and allow you remove references of trojans and Internet worms.

1) Identify and note the files associated with this trojan as detected by the scanner - do not remove the trojan at this time. If you have already removed the trojan, you will not be able to run REGEDIT steps below on the affected system. Proceed instead to step 11 listed below.

2) Open an MS-DOS prompt via the menu or click on START|RUN and type COMMAND and then press enter.

3) Start Regedit in Windows 95/98 by typing REGEDIT or in Windows NT type REGEDT32 and press enter.

4) Remove references to the trojan from these keys of the registry
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\commandHKEY_L OCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\exefile\shell\open\c ommand
They should contain only the following values "%1" %*

5) If applicable, remove any keys that run the main trojan under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunServices\
And
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
6) If applicable, delete the registry key if it exists HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dl
and exit Regedit.

7) If applicable, edit WIN.INI and remove the reference to the trojan from the run= line in the [windows] section.

8) If applicable, edit SYSTEM.INI and remove the reference to the trojan from the shell= line in the [boot] section. It should just contain the file EXPLORER.EXE.

9) Restart the system.

10) Delete the trojan program(s). If all is well the files should be deleted OK. If you get an error message saying that windows is unable to delete the file because it is in use, then you have made an error in the above procedure. Repeat steps 1 to 9 and try again.

11) In the event that the trojan was deleted before making the registry changes, it is still possible to repair the registry. You will need access to another computer, or at a minimum, access to MS-DOS on the affected system. Using MS-DOS edit, create a file called UNDO.REG with the following content (you can cut and paste):

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\exefile\shell\ open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

12) Save this file to the Windows folder of the affected system as the file "UNDO.REG".

13) Click on START|RUN and type in UNDO.REG and press ENTER. The contents of UNDO.REG should be now imported to the registry.
Old 26 August 2004, 10:08 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Cheers Nick, had a go at a couple of fixes I found, gave up and completely reformatted and reinstalled - all in 2 hours, not bad I reckon. Now if I could only remember my password for setting up my email again

Thanks