Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Using a Win 98 share as a fileserver?

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2004, 07:38 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Using a Win 98 share as a fileserver?

Need some advice to decide if Win98 provides adequate protection for using it as a fileserver.

Right, have two computers at home, a wireless XP2 lappy and a wired Win98 desktop. The two are connected by a Belkin wireless router, which is permanaently connected to the net via an ADSL modem. The desktop is always on and the lappy intermittently so. Currently I keep all our private files in non-shared directories on the desktop machine, which is 'protected' by a zonealarm firewall, as is the lappy of course. I run regular Norton scans on both machines and only use Mozilla browsers and mail apps.

Wireless security should be ok (Belkin firewall, wpa-tsk 50 letter key with tkip encryption, DHCP server off, MAC address filtering on, ping blocking etc. etc.)

I am thinking to "share" all the private directories with a password for the desktop computer to use. Is it safe to do this on a Win 98 machine?

Ideally, I would have upgraded the desktop earlier this year to a faster xp machine, but the Dutch government killed the subsidys for this stone dead, so no more 50% discounts, like I got on the lappy.

Hope I've provided enough info. and that someone knowledgable can advise.

rgds

Suresh
Old 23 October 2004, 07:55 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a fileserver for your internal network, or are you going to be making it available over the internet?

If it's internal, you will be ok as the Belkin device sholdn't allow anything to reach your Win98 box. Assuming you trust your local users.

If you're intending to make the 98 box available over the internet then forget it. 98 is horribly insecure and it's a bad idea.
Old 23 October 2004, 10:44 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No intention to make it available over the internet.

Suresh
Old 24 October 2004, 10:25 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want any "proper" security get 2000 professional.

Win98 must be patched upto date as there is a security hole with the sharing passwords which can allow them to be brute-forced in seconds.

if it's just for home use and you secure the Wireless properly - sounds like you know what you are doing, you should be ok.