Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

2 Operating systems ..... Guidance req'd

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2004, 11:24 AM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Operating systems ..... Guidance req'd

I have got 2 40gb hard drives....my first had 98se on it, but keeps freezing. i have just fitted a second 40gb hard drive and put Xp on it.

I have made the XP drive the master, and the 98 one the slave.

But when i go to the 98 drive non of the programs are useable, but everything is there.

I have a couple of devices which are not Xp compatible hence the need to keep 98.

How do i go about being able to actively use the drive with 98 when i need to... ie, my downloading from my mobile fone, via usb infrared adapter....i have lost the use of my mobile fone connectivity suite.

Any guidance would be useful.

Many thanks

Frank
Old 25 October 2004, 11:51 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, you can boot into windows 98 still??

if so, what drive letter is it assigned too? if it was drive C: and this now has XP (with all the software re-installed on it), then 98 will try to launch stuff from drive C:.

If 98 is on the 2nd driver and assigned to drive D:, then all the registry entries and .INI files will point to the wrong disk.

You could sit and painfully scan through the registry changing things from drive C: to D: (or whatever the correct location is).

Ideally you'd want to decide the partitions/drive letters before installing any of the OS's.

Stefan
Old 25 October 2004, 02:36 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If u had kept the drives as master n slave AFTER u installed XP then it would have worked. XP needs to be installed last. As I think youve swapped the drives around it will not work. Now you will need to reinstall 98, n then reinstall XP, so that XP setup can modify the boot.ini and bootblock so they will both work in conjunction. When this is done then you will get a bootmenu in dos to select which OS you want to go into on bootup. There is probably another way to do it without reinstall but the above will make sure both OS's are working. Reinstallin 98 may fix your freezing issue as well.
Old 25 October 2004, 02:39 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

install partition magic 8 and it gives you an option to make a new drive for a 2nd operating system
Old 25 October 2004, 06:41 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the replies so far...

my original harddrive, which when was first set up was the C drive, it had 98 on it.

I then fitted the 2nd hard drive and tried to install Xp to it, but when it began i was a bit unsure it wasnt trying to overwrite my 98...so i stopped it.

i took the original hard drive out, put the new one in, and made it master...then installed Xp to it.

Once it had Xp on it, i put the original hard drive back, switched the jumpers to make it 'slave'.

I then rebooted my pc...its boots to Xp, and works fine, but when i want to go to the other drive i got into 'my computer', and it shows up as a 2nd drive, but when i access it ...everything is there, but not useable.

Hope this helps...

Any replies, most gratefully appreciated.

Frank
Old 25 October 2004, 07:26 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best bet is to do what was suggested earlier, and make a proper dual boot machine:

1) Remove the XP drive and reset the jumpers to make the 98 drive the master. Ensure 98 now fires up normally.

2) Assuming 98 is fine, fit the second drive and jumper it as slave.

3) Install XP on the second drive. Assuming the 98 drive has only one partition, the second drive will show up in setup as D:\ - install to there. Tell XP it's a new install, not a repair, if you are asked.

XP will automatically set the system up as dual boot: during the boot you will see a screen asking whether you want to boot XP or "Windows 98" (if you're lucky) or "Previous operating system on C:\" - scroll between entries. If you don't like the text it's in BOOT.INI on c:\ on the 98 drive and can be edited to suit.

M