Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Saving a word document to CD, help required please :)

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2004, 07:46 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saving a word document to CD, help required please :)

I recently sold a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop to a family friend.

I had windows re-installed before selling, they have phoned me saying that they can't save any documents from Word direct onto a CD (the computer has a DVD + CD rewriter drive). There is no 3.5 floppy drive so the only way of saving documents is via CD)

Firstly can you do this as I have not tried before? If so any ideas what the problem is? When trying to save to the CD a windows popup appears saying "The selected disk drive is not in use. Check to make sure a disk is inserted"

I have tried CDR and CDRW but to no avail.

I can play CD's and run other software via the DVD player so it must at least be partly installed.

Can anyone help, would be much appreciated as you can imagined it is a slightly akward situation!!!!

TIA

James
Old 25 October 2004, 09:49 PM
Figment
Scooby Regular

You can save files to CD, but you need packet writing software (something like DirectCD) to be able to save files on a CD as if it were a hard/floppy disk.

Alternately the files can be saved to the hard drive and then use CD/DVD burning software to make a copy on the CD.

A USB pendrive is something worth considering - easier and quicker to use than a CD, just plug into a spare USB port and it appears in My Computer as a removeable drive. (On Win98/ME drivers are required to access, but with XP just plug it in)
Old 26 October 2004, 09:32 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Figment
You can save files to CD, but you need packet writing software (something like DirectCD) to be able to save files on a CD as if it were a hard/floppy disk.

Alternately the files can be saved to the hard drive and then use CD/DVD burning software to make a copy on the CD.

A USB pendrive is something worth considering - easier and quicker to use than a CD, just plug into a spare USB port and it appears in My Computer as a removeable drive. (On Win98/ME drivers are required to access, but with XP just plug it in)
Thanks for your reply Figment

Is DirectCD expensive and easy to install? I will google it now to try and find out a bit more. Would be a useful solution though.

Have since realised that it is a DVD player only and not a cd re-writer.

Chopper
Old 26 October 2004, 11:50 AM
Figment
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopper.
Thanks for your reply Figment

Is DirectCD expensive and easy to install? I will google it now to try and find out a bit more. Would be a useful solution though.

Have since realised that it is a DVD player only and not a cd re-writer.

Chopper
If that is the case then you cannot save to CDs/DVDs. The minimum you need to be able to do that is a CD Recorder (Writer) for CDs and DVD Recorder for DVDs.

Cheapest option will be one of the USB pen devices I described earlier. You can pick smallish capacity (32Mb - 25x the space of a floppy) ones up for a tenner or thereabouts, or a reasonable capacity (256Mb/512Mb) for between £25 and £50

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.a...Page=2&SortBy=

Last edited by Figment; 26 October 2004 at 11:53 AM.