Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New iPods

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2004, 07:11 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New iPods

iPod Photo

and

iPod U2 Special Edition
Old 26 October 2004, 07:26 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Doh, you beat me to it

Got to get one.
Old 26 October 2004, 07:49 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

New iTunes as well. 40GB iPod for sale I need that colour screen.
Old 26 October 2004, 07:53 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

What a rip off - Only Apple can get away with charging $100 more for a software upgrade and a slight tweak on battery life

Ha - I bet Apple is thinking lets launch iPod Video for $1000 - 3 hrs play back thanks in part to the clarity of the display — it offers 220x176-pixel resolution ...... wow

Don't get me wrong, its good to see Apple doing something right for once with the first generation iPod .... but please..... Photo slide while playing music .... yeah, it works even better when in your pocket.
Old 26 October 2004, 08:18 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerV2
What a rip off - Only Apple can get away with charging $100 more for a software upgrade and a slight tweak on battery life

Plus a colour screen plus a new dock, plus new software...
Old 26 October 2004, 08:20 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Are you talking about the new Color iPods or the 4G range as a whole?

I could have waited a week before getting my iPod, simply for the 60GB capacity, but I have no use at all for the color screen capabilites of the new model right now.

I wonder how long before Griffin comes out with a iPicture add on that is a little plug in camera for your Color iPod? now that might be quite cool.

As for thr U2 iPod, hmm, don't like the look of it. If the click wheel was black, yeah, maybe. Signatures on the back, kinda nice, but well, not that overly impressed, plus its only 20GB! could have at least made it 40GB!
Old 26 October 2004, 08:22 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

iPod 40Gb £299 inc VAT & shipping
iPod Photo 40Gb £359 inc VAT & shipping

Prices from http://www.apple.com/ukstore

So £50 gets you a colour screen, video out and the photo storage function. Yes iPods in general are priced higher than players from Archos and Creative but I don't think an extra £50 is unreasonable for these additional features.

FWIW, I think the U2 iPod is lame
Old 26 October 2004, 08:38 PM
Father Jack Hackett
Scooby Regular

Talking of colour screens ... has anyone had experience of iRiver's 340's?
Old 26 October 2004, 09:13 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I'm just waiting for someone to hack it to play video
Old 26 October 2004, 09:24 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Sorry buts this ipod photo is a gimmick - What are you going to use the colour screen for? How many people are going going to use the iPod for photo storage when most people who have an iPod already have digital cameras, photo phones and flash card readers.

A Class - the point is those features are useless!!! I quote "Use the included AV cable to connect iPod Photo to a projector or TV" errmmm I have a superior digital camera for doing that job!!

When the add on camera does come out then no doubt it will be crap too!! It will be on par with camera phones and whats the point in that!!

The iPod Photo is for hard core Apple fans who are blind with loyality!!! Expect if you really do need the extra storage then the 60GB is ok.

iPod job is an MP3 player and its a good one at that ..... but please photo storage
Old 26 October 2004, 09:54 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

How many people are going going to use the iPod for photo storage when most people who have an iPod already have digital cameras, photo phones and flash card readers.
I carry all of my media on my iPod.
Old 26 October 2004, 10:06 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

I will use it for presentations, much cooler than carrying a laptop around for showing my portfolio to potential clients.

I always have my iPod on me and it currently carries 50% of my portfolio, as a hard drive. Now I can just jack it in a TV and show whatever I like when I like. Most of my work is multi-layered PSD / tiff / large jpg, which iPhoto can deal with but my camera can't. The iPod really is an answer to something I have wanted/needed for some time.

It sounds like it wouldn't suit you Roadrunner, but it is perfect for me and no doubt countless others. You aren't being forced to buy one so why complain.

I have a superior digital camera for doing that job!!
As far as I'm aware there is only one camera that can carry 40gig of photos and that is the new hassleblad and it costs more than a Scooby Storage and feature wise this slams down any digital camera as far as I am aware.
Old 26 October 2004, 11:43 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

It has to be said, whilst nice, I couldn't justify £430 for a colour version of what I've basically got now.

I can't see why you'd want to look at photos on it - you've got the storage facility now to use it as a Hard drive (of which I use it to get presentations and piccies onto my computer @ work)

Unless the new software does some SPECTACULAR things, I won't be selling my Ipod anytime soon.....

Still, good on Apple to keep pushing the boundaries, albeit for new purchasers rather than upgrades..... (IMHO)

Dan
Old 27 October 2004, 09:24 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Sorry buts this ipod photo is a gimmick - What are you going to use the colour screen for? How many people are going going to use the iPod for photo storage when most people who have an iPod already have digital cameras, photo phones and flash card readers.
Personally I won't buy an iPod Photo primarily for the "Photo" but its the only way to get a 60Gb iPod. I'll probably treat myself to one when I visit the US in a few weeks.

The photo functions do seem to fit with an overall strategy. Have you seen the Belkin Media Reader for the iPod? It allows you to copy the contents of your digicam memory cards to the iPod HDD without having to use a PC.

A Class - the point is those features are useless!!! I quote "Use the included AV cable to connect iPod Photo to a projector or TV" errmmm I have a superior digital camera for doing that job!!
iPod Photo is not meant to replace your digicam, it's complimentary. Say you have relatives who you visit occasionally. You like to show them all your digital photos, but they don't have a PC. Previously you were limited to what you could fit on your memory card. Now you can store a large portion of your photo library on your iPod, turn up and plug it into the TV and have the slideshow accompanied by music.

It seems like this product is not for you. No one is asking you to like it. I know plenty of iPod users who would have absolutely no use for the new features, and that's why the traditional music only iPod 20Gb and 40Gb will remain on sale.