Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Thermal grease - essential to AMD 2400?

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2004, 10:59 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Thermal grease - essential to AMD 2400?

Just in the process of changing mobo - taking cpu and heatsink off I realised I had no 'special AMD pad to rejoin the 2.

What is the best way to clen the component mating surfaces? - any tips? & also is thermal grease essential or can I do it later?.... Will mean a 40 min round trip just to get the stuff... (PC world will sell it I pressume?)

Cheers

Mick
Old 18 November 2004, 11:47 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the thermal grease. You'll need some kind of thermal contact between the chip and the heatsink. If you don't, you run the risk of burning your chip out
Old 19 November 2004, 01:04 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Make sure the bottom of the heatsink and top of the chip are clean, and use some Arctic Silver compound ; just dab a blob onto the chip and push the heatsink on to even the compound out, making sure the heatsink is in full contact with the CPU. Its pretty important that there's a good contact between heatsink and cheap to disperse the heat properly, and you definitely need thermal transfer paste to do this. Arctic Silver is the best stuff to use.
Old 19 November 2004, 02:43 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
just dab a blob onto the chip and push the heatsink on to even the compound out, making sure the heatsink is in full contact with the CPU. Its pretty important that there's a good contact between heatsink and cheap to disperse the heat properly, and you definitely need thermal transfer paste to do this. Arctic Silver is the best stuff to use.
I agree Artic Silver is good stuff but IMHO you should spread it out with a credit card or similar & not just let the heatsink spread the blob of paste out.
Old 20 November 2004, 08:43 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

thanks guys...

Did all that yesterday... only to find the board is actually a dead one!

Bought it off a 'gentleman' on ebay. - advertised as 'new' - I was suspicious when it arrived with only the extra packing tape on the box to hold it closed and attach the address label! - could see box perfectly clearly. Obviously had been opened and mobo and manuals handled.

There were no cables in the box just manuals and CD & floppy driver discs!

I tried it in my machine & got no response at all! Talked to ABIT tech support by email and phone... Back to basics - only ATX power unit and case switch connected and power unit fan would not turn on. Tried exactly same setup connected to my old board and worked fine - Diagnosis AN7 is dead!

I'm really hacked off as I spent ages messing about with the darn thing as well as £55 to buy it.

I've got a 'real' new one arriving from ebuyer next week £65! don't know why I bother with ebay sometimes...

Mick
Old 21 November 2004, 01:09 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mick
thanks guys...

Did all that yesterday... only to find the board is actually a dead one!

Bought it off a 'gentleman' on ebay. - advertised as 'new' - I was suspicious when it arrived with only the extra packing tape on the box to hold it closed and attach the address label! - could see box perfectly clearly. Obviously had been opened and mobo and manuals handled.

There were no cables in the box just manuals and CD & floppy driver discs!

I tried it in my machine & got no response at all! Talked to ABIT tech support by email and phone... Back to basics - only ATX power unit and case switch connected and power unit fan would not turn on. Tried exactly same setup connected to my old board and worked fine - Diagnosis AN7 is dead!

I'm really hacked off as I spent ages messing about with the darn thing as well as £55 to buy it.

I've got a 'real' new one arriving from ebuyer next week £65! don't know why I bother with ebay sometimes...

Mick
Thats harsh - hope you have more luck this time.