Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Reinstalling windows

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2004, 12:50 AM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reinstalling windows

My PC have been randomly freezing/resetting itself (no pattern to it at all), and it has been suggested to me that I re-install windows. All I have is the XP disk (no office/works disk). To re-install it should I:
1. wipe the whole hard disk and start from scratch
2. just re-install windows

I'm not really any good at this, so any instructions/advice would be appreciated.

TIA
Bex
Old 20 November 2004, 12:56 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

When you start up the pc with the windows XP disk in it you should get the option to install windows, repair windows etc. Select install & then you should have the option to format your hard drive before installing. I would go for that.

Darren
Old 20 November 2004, 01:02 AM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

Cheers. I take it I would then need to reinstall all my other software etc if I formatted the hard drive?
Old 20 November 2004, 01:29 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Yes most definately. You will lose everything so make sure you back up your emails, address book etc
Old 20 November 2004, 08:35 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd look for other causes first. The two most likely are inadequate PSU (what are the machine specs, and the rating of the PSU?) or overheating (what cooling are you using, both of the CPU and the case?). I've had a lot of problems with Windows over the years and only VERY serious ones (like rebooting loops) have been cured by a re-install. The fact that the happenings are random means it's very unlikely Windows is the cause.

M
Old 20 November 2004, 11:02 AM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
I'd look for other causes first. The two most likely are inadequate PSU (what are the machine specs, and the rating of the PSU?) or overheating (what cooling are you using, both of the CPU and the case?). I've had a lot of problems with Windows over the years and only VERY serious ones (like rebooting loops) have been cured by a re-install. The fact that the happenings are random means it's very unlikely Windows is the cause.

M
I had the PC built for me, and my brother has the exact same spec and components, and his works fine, so inadequate PSU/overheating can't be the problem I don't think.