Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Best+cheap on-line component retailer.....

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2004, 04:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Lightbulb Best+cheap on-line component retailer.....

Just wondering what others use?

I use Novatech.co.uk

I've experienced woes and heard some nasty stories from others to avoid the likes of Dabs, Ebuyer, microdirect, aria technology and Dell (non trade).

Any other good/bad retailers to look out for?

Old 20 December 2004, 04:33 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.cclonline.com/

are pretty good.

I've used Aria before and they're ok as long as you don't have to RMA anything. I've had two duff 1Gb sticks of PC2700 on the trot and it takes them a minimum of 2 weeks to sort it out, the useless tossers. I mean, how long does it take to determine a stick of RAM is shagged ? Five minutes ? I'll probably use them again, but not for RAM sticks or CPUs or anything where there's a high possibility of damage.
I've also used Microdirect before with no problems, but am not sure what their customer services are like.
Old 21 December 2004, 11:32 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks MJW for your input

This thread went down like a storm then?

Apparently most of the places I mentioned have trouble with after-sales support with returns. Either not being able to get in contact (listening to music on hold for an hour - e.g microdirect), or only comunication via notes or e-mail which never get answered, or incorrectly answered (e.g dabs or eBuyer). A few (Dell for me) also seem to have problems with their dispatch and delivery.

All I can say is thank the lord for net-protected credit cards. Any problems/hassel getting it sorted and it's shipped back recorded delivery and I cancel the payments with shipping the only cost incurred - which I take as a lesson in life

Looking at the review sites is rather hit and miss - as most people will only rate/vote when they've had problems, giving a biased poor rating when the company is usually OK.

Anyone care to add anymore companies that deserve custom and make money or ones that don't?
Old 21 December 2004, 12:24 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Ali I like www.aria.co.uk and www.overclockers.co.uk for customer support online. Not bad prices, but neither can touch ebuyer for price.

www.scan.co.uk have some nice daily/weekly offers.

I have had no bother with ebuyer, if you use the enotes system properly there is no probs, I even got them to send me an original invoice for my cashback on my canon 300d camera, and they returned my question within 15 hours of posting and were very helpful and pleasant.
Old 21 December 2004, 12:26 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Oh and if you are buying CD DVD or printer consumables, the best place is www.diskdepot.co.uk run by a local snetter. Best customer service ever, I've even had stuff hand delivered and there prices are hard to beat.

Hope that Helps
Old 21 December 2004, 12:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Old 21 December 2004, 12:41 PM
ChrisB

Overclockers.co.uk (OCuk) have stopped accepting e-mails from customers and are now phone only. Alex (Dr Evil) has been struggling with them of late.

I use them for my stuff but I live local so collect my bits. That said, the queues in the shop on Saturdays can stretch out the door...

Trending Topics

Old 21 December 2004, 06:14 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

There was a similar thread last week somethime Ali, try a search, it'll probably come up.

Lots of people posting about their good (and not so good) buying experiences with different companies.

Andy.
Old 21 December 2004, 06:18 PM
Walwal
Scooby Regular

Found it:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=387130

Andy
Old 22 December 2004, 12:28 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Ali-b, have a look at microland technology too
Old 22 December 2004, 09:31 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Just wondering what others use?

I use Novatech.co.uk

I've experienced woes and heard some nasty stories from others to avoid the likes of Dabs, Ebuyer, microdirect, aria technology and Dell (non trade).

Any other good/bad retailers to look out for?

I use ALL of the above regular. (oh, actually, not Dell!)

Dabs are excellent...especially for a any returns (only had one)
Ebuyer are normally cheapest..decent delivery. Returns used to be very poor but they are a LOT better now.
Microdirect....took them weeks to deliver my last order.
Aria...excellent. Order cases from them as Ebuyer Always send broken cases (and it aint the courier)
Old 22 December 2004, 12:10 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Overclockers.co.uk (OCuk) have stopped accepting e-mails from customers and are now phone only. Alex (Dr Evil) has been struggling with them of late.

I use them for my stuff but I live local so collect my bits. That said, the queues in the shop on Saturdays can stretch out the door...

Seems I'm not the only one - there have been numerous threads on the overclockers forums of late complaining about late shipment from the store, or Amtrak messing up or both, plus individuals being unable to get through to OCuk on the phone and as you said, they've removed the email option because it was being abused.. more like, they were getting abuse for poor service.

I'd just like to add, I've had a fews minor issues before November/December with them too. Next day doesn't mean that to them.

They can be very good, but I think they've struggled with staffing levels over the last 6 months, plus a victim of their own success - ie increased volume of sales. All IMO.
Old 22 December 2004, 01:31 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Must admit Amtrak are not the best of courriers - a little bit on the slow side of their promised dates.

That was with Empire direct with a TV (Empire are spot on btw ...although don't really sell PC bits )

How many E-retailers actually phone YOU to confirm the order and delivery?

I nearly fell over in shock when they did (at first thought they rejected my card - but turns out it's routine). Also told us that Amtrak haven't yet collected the item, so it maybe a day or two later than it should be.

Find me a PC parts retailer that does that!

Which is what I'm hunting for - Customer service and quick return policies Anything more than a day late or taking longer than 10mins to pick up the phone I consider poor, usually I'll give one more chance for benefit of doubt. But any more and it's a lost customer - there's far too many poor companies out there that just don't deserve anybody's custom

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 December 2004 at 01:34 PM.
Old 22 December 2004, 01:47 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Which is what I'm hunting for - Customer service and quick return policies Anything more than a day late or taking longer than 10mins to pick up the phone I consider poor, usually I'll give one more chance for benefit of doubt. But any more and it's a lost customer - there's far too many poor companies out there that just don't deserve anybody's custom
Thats OCuk ruled out then.

I've had limited dealings with www.overclock.co.uk, no issues so far. And DABS have been very good to me.

Proof in the pudding will be the next PC build order I do - still not sure who I will use now for big orders.