Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

AAC format files and iPod playback problems

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2004, 10:18 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AAC format files and iPod playback problems

Hi all,
Am wondering if you can help me here.

I've returned to the UK for xmas and my 4th Gen 40GB iPod acompanied me. I had part of my CD collection here, so thought I'd rip them, and pop them on the ipod. Lovely you say, well, in theory yes, it is.

I'd pre-empted a few things. 1) I don't have Mac in the UK, only a pc, so I'd got a copy of mediafour's MacDrive 6 software, lovely, mounts the drive on PC, and iTunes on the PC sees the Macintosh formatted ipod.

So what's the problem? Well, I ripped all my CD's using iTunes AAC encoding, as its smaller than mp3.

They ripped fine, they played ok in iTunes from the hard drive. I copied them over (700 odd songs) and they played fine through iTunes when using the iPod connected to the PC.

The problem is this. If I unplug the iPod and try and play the tracks it displays the track, with the correct name and track time, but it instantly switches ot the next track in the album. So I end up with it cycling between the tracks but not actually playing anything.

This is odd and frustrating as you can imagine, espeically as the files can play when I've got the iPod connected to the PC.

As a test I re-ripped a few tracks as MP3, copied them over, wham, they play fine on the iPod when it's not connected to the PC.

Is this some weird limitation? Could it be something odd that MacDrive is doing? I can't see how, as the MP3's copied over, and the ACC's did too, just they won't play when the ipod is being used stanfalone.

I'm very confused here, and really don't want to reripp 55 cd's into MP3 format.

Any ideas?