Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Monster PC spec - can't decide !

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2004, 03:53 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster PC spec - can't decide !

Right, as a writer of games I've been speccing out my next PC : cost is (almost) irrelevant, but I need to make sure the spec doesn't leave me behind for the next 18-24 months. In order of priorities, I need :-
  • Processor speed - Currently considerng Athalon 64 FX range, on a suitable motherboard I could overclock it to past the 4GHX range. However, also tempted with a dual-gpu board, the computer will be used for a variety of apps including video editing, 3D modelling, application compilation and development as well as a multimedia station for MP3, DIVX movies etc.
  • DirectX speed - Got my eyes on the new nVidia 4 SLI motherboards, will allow 2 graphics cards to be linked together, probably with the top-end 68000 cards. Problem with the SLI boards are they limit my processor choices.
Basically, I'm after 4GB memory, roughly a terabyte of storage space (most in a SATA raid array), DVD re-writer, CD re-writer, high speed lan ports, and at least 4 USB2 ports ( and ideally a couple of firewire ports ). I'll also be running in at least a 2 monitor setup ( I'm happy with my choice of monitors ), but getting the balance between processor and DirectX speed (see above) is a struggle !

Comments ? Suggestions ? I'm looking roughly at a £4K build price, and I'm happy to build it.
Old 30 December 2004, 05:50 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

The FX-55 is top of the hill until dual core comes along Q2 2005. AMD say that Dual core will still fit current S939 boards.
Since cost is irrelevant, then twin 6800 Ultras in SLI will be adequate for a while, as will the nforce 4 MB which support SLI

Your real issue is going to be what will use the above config more than 'a mid range' one.

Why not buy a AMD newcastle 3500, AGP MB and use that for 12 months, then buy the max then as PCI-E, SLI etc will be a lot more mature(and perform better) by then
Old 30 December 2004, 05:52 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil Smalley
The FX-55 is top of the hill until dual core comes along Q2 2005. AMD say that Dual core will still fit current S939 boards.
Since cost is irrelevant, then twin 6800 Ultras in SLI will be adequate for a while, as will the nforce 4 MB which support SLI

Your real issue is going to be what will use the above config more than 'a mid range' one.

Why not buy a AMD newcastle 3500, AGP MB and use that for 12 months, then buy the max then as PCI-E, SLI etc will be a lot more mature(and perform better) by then
Agree with you Neil - SLIs still a bit too new, plus ATi are in the throws of finishing their version of it. I'm holding off until at least Q2 before my next upgrade.
Old 30 December 2004, 11:50 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

Problem with this is, I always found that there's always a shinier and faster "gizmo" just about to be released, which is worth waiting for : and you hence end up never getting a PC at all The SLI issue isn't the top priority, DirectX performance has to be v. good but for the purposes of the machine processor speed is a higher priority.

Trust me, in my job I'll be using the full performance of the machine

What's people views re: overclocked single CPU vs dual CPU options ? Do we actually know how the dual core CPU's are actually going to work, and what performance gains would be expected of them ? Windows support at all ? And does anyone know when the 64bit version of XP is expected ? I can hold of the upgrade for roughly 6 months, but the longer it takes the more expensive my tastes become
Old 30 December 2004, 11:55 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Then go for an FX-55, add a vapochill and o/c it to 3.5Ghz(which will equate to about a P4 4.8). If SLI is a maybe then go for a single 6800 Ultra now(plus PCI-E) then buy another one later on.

No one knows how well Dual Core processors will perform, I would guess not much more than a single one until software is optimised for it.

Windows XP 64 bit is already out, but is waay slower in games at the mo.
Old 31 December 2004, 01:19 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I'm after 4GB memory
Bloody hell.. what you launching? A nuclear bomb?

Even though you say you are a games writer (odd description if ever I heard one) why would you need that much ram?

I have 2 graphic cards but you can buy cards with 2 connections anyway so a dual set-up isn't odd nor out of the ordinary. How many monitors are you running? I have 3 and find a dual card enough coupled with a crap agp card for my 3rd still running at 1280 x 1024.

I also have just under one TB of storage over 4 drives. If you are willing to spend 4k you are looking to get ripped off!

Last edited by Soulgirl; 31 December 2004 at 01:29 AM.
Old 31 December 2004, 01:30 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neil Smalley
Then go for an FX-55, add a vapochill and o/c it to 3.5Ghz(which will equate to about a P4 4.8). If SLI is a maybe then go for a single 6800 Ultra now(plus PCI-E) then buy another one later on.

No one knows how well Dual Core processors will perform, I would guess not much more than a single one until software is optimised for it.

Windows XP 64 bit is already out, but is waay slower in games at the mo.
I remember discussing with my Hubby 3 years ago about the dual processor setup - they still haven't got it right, or more to the point, worth it.

Trending Topics

Old 31 December 2004, 01:35 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Trust me, in my job I'll be using the full performance of the machine
So what is your job then? What are you coding at the moment?
Old 31 December 2004, 10:38 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Boxer

Not saying SLI ain't worth it - just saying the boards & drivers are a little flakely at the moment it seems. Might be worth waiting for the rev2 boards which should be out in Feb/Mar time potentially.

If you do go SLI, as said:

FX55
Asus SLI board
4GB ? - check out the compat matrix column C: http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/qvl/A8N-QVL.pdf
2x 6800GTs or Ultras
Coolermaster Stacker case - with cross flow fan, additional 3in4 module, 2x extra 80mm fans, 2x Vantec Nexus fan controllers
DVDRW - NEC 3520A or Pioneer 108
CDRW - ?
PSU - one that supports 2x PCI-E connectors (but you can by adaptors, ie molex -> pci-e) for example Enermax Noisetaker 600W - has one PCI-E as standard, depends what connector the GPU cards use.
Old 31 December 2004, 11:03 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
I have 2 graphic cards but you can buy cards with 2 connections anyway so a dual set-up isn't odd nor out of the ordinary. How many monitors are you running? I have 3 and find a dual card enough coupled with a crap agp card for my 3rd still running at 1280 x 1024.
SLi is about combining two VGA cards together to increase 3D performance, not about running extra monitors. It is one of the benefits of the new PCI-E interface
Old 31 December 2004, 11:39 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daz34
SLi is about combining two VGA cards together to increase 3D performance, not about running extra monitors. It is one of the benefits of the new PCI-E interface
Im glad you said that Daz....

Simon
Old 31 December 2004, 12:03 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

Even though you say you are a games writer (odd description if ever I heard one) why would you need that much ram?
3DS Max (one of the 3d modelling packages we use) has a recommended memory requirement of 1-2 GB, and I'll be running other memory hungry apps alongside it. Technically I'm a self employed Senior Programmer for a well-known racing game, but I can't say which one for contractual reasons. Video/data encoding will also be done, and huge gobs of game data will be generated, hence the requirement for large and fast storage.
Old 31 December 2004, 12:06 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

I sit here and laugh when remembering my first pc with 2 meg of ram and I excitedly upgraded to 4 meg LOL
Old 31 December 2004, 12:07 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daz34
cool - not that it makes any sense to me coz I ain't that clever ...
Old 31 December 2004, 12:18 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

cool - not that it makes any sense to me coz I ain't that clever ...
You don't have to be clever, just sad
Old 31 December 2004, 12:31 PM
ChrisB

I've just been looking at the 3DS Max product page. That specifically recommends a dual CPU system, so it sounds like it's properly dual threaded.

Hence I'd consider something like a pair of 3.6Ghz Xeons or Opteron 250s. Going to be something like £600 per CPU though.
Old 31 December 2004, 01:49 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Dual Opertons are what you want.

Unless of course you can get your hands on the Dual 2.5 G5's that Apple / Microsoft are sending out for the Xbox 2 SDK! You could then have access to upto 16Gig of RAM if it takes your fancy (although admittedly only 4Gb per chip can be read, but saying you have 16Gb of RAM is always nice )
Old 31 December 2004, 05:12 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I sit here and laugh when remembering my first pc with 2 meg of ram and I excitedly upgraded to 4 meg LOL
2 MEG - You were spoilt, when i were a lad (living in't shoe-box) we had to make do with 32K!, and load programs with a domestice cassette player

Ahh those were the gd ol' days (BBC A) - spent so long playing ELITE
I saw the screen in my sleep (before I had to get up a 4am to make the fires....)

alan
Old 31 December 2004, 06:32 PM
ScoobyTal
Scooby Regular

You will spend 4k on the 'ultimate' (for about a week) spec when a system that will perform 98% as well will cost 50% less hmmmmmmm
Old 31 December 2004, 06:34 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

I've just been looking at the 3DS Max product page. That specifically recommends a dual CPU system, so it sounds like it's properly dual threaded.
Exactly, and I believe dual CPU support in Windows XP/NT is alot better than it used to be : although I'd need to confirm that. I'd love to wait for the dual core CPU's, but I suspect support will take it's time to come. I had considered the Opteron's, although I wasn't exactly sure what their benefit over a Athalon FX55 was. I was considering a SuperMicro X6DAE-G2 motherboard, as it supports dual PCI-E graphics cards but it only supports the Intel Xeon (Socket 604). Problem I've got is to get the graphic card setup I want limits my processor choice, and vice-versa.

2 MEG - You were spoilt, when i were a lad (living in't shoe-box) we had to make do with 32K!, and load programs with a domestice cassette player
Eeee, when I t'were a lad, we had to type in hexadecimal assembly language, by hand mind you!, and the screen would flicker whenever you pressed a key as the processor couldn't handle screen output and keyboard input at the same time. ZX-80 was an animal

Mind you, these days you couldn't load a font into what I used to program with, memory wise....
Old 31 December 2004, 06:36 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

You will spend 4k on the 'ultimate' (for about a week) spec when a system that will perform 98% as well will cost 50% less hmmmmmmm
But, by buying the best now, in 1-2 years time it will still be able to handle most jobs I throw at it : if I buy middle-spec now, a years time it will struggle. I did the same with my last (and current) PC, and only now after nearly 3 years is it starting to struggle.
Old 31 December 2004, 09:28 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxerFlat4
Eeee, when I t'were a lad, we had to type in hexadecimal assembly language, by hand mind you!, and the screen would flicker whenever you pressed a key as the processor couldn't handle screen output and keyboard input at the same time. ZX-80 was an animal

Mind you, these days you couldn't load a font into what I used to program with, memory wise....
Boxer -- you're OLDER than me!!!!

alan