Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

McAfee Firewall/MSN set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2005, 12:59 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McAfee Firewall/MSN set-up?

Jack?

Anyone know how to set up McAfee Firewall to MSN Messenger? I am on NTL cable and my messenger file transfer has slowed right down after McAfee Firewall installation.

Thanks.
Old 06 March 2005, 01:35 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I have just put McAfee Internet Security 2005 on my PC, has Firewall, Anti Virus, Spam etc etc all in the one package.

I don't actually transfer files in MSN messenger but have you set it so MSN has full un restricted access within the firewall? And does yours have any settings that tells you what ports its blocking etc?

If you disable the McAfee Firewall do your transfer speeds go back up to how they were? Are normal web downloads slower or normal?
Old 06 March 2005, 02:12 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

When I try to test my settings on Hackerwatch.org I get this message.

"The IP address requesting this page is different from the IP address of your computer. This indicates that your computer is behind a proxy or NAT. These devices allow you to access the Internet by relaying traffic, typically from multiple computers, through a single IP address."

I just want Firewall to allow MSN.
Old 06 March 2005, 10:29 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

That message is because the internal IP address on your PC is different to the public IP address that is broadcast on the web.

Do you use a router? if you do then it is probably running NAT which basically spoofs your internal IP of your PC to a different IP on the web (this is good for security reasons). I got the same message when running the McAfee firewall check, and would expect it to do that as it proves it can't detect the internal IP of my PC.

However this shouldn't affect your MSN transfers unless your firewall is blocking a port which MSN uses. Check to make sure MSN is set to Full Unrestricted Access within the firewall settings.
Old 06 March 2005, 11:17 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I can't think of any reason why the firewall would or should slow your file transfer. The Antivirus on the other hand will slow things down, but shouldn't slow the transfer that much.
Old 07 March 2005, 01:09 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. I'll keep trying!!
Old 10 March 2005, 12:02 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

If you are experiencing slow transfer rates in MSN Messenger:
• Your connection speed depends on the type of Internet connection you have. If you use a dial-up connection to the Internet, your connection speed is slower than if you use a high-speed connection. Consider upgrading to a high-speed Internet connection.
• You or the person you are communicating with might be behind a firewall or network address translator (NAT) that prevents a direct connection to the Internet. If your Internet service provider (ISP) uses a firewall or NAT, you might be prevented from connecting directly, even if neither of you is behind a firewall or NAT. For more information, see Configure your browser and network for instant messaging and activities
• If you are having problems with the audio or video connection, or with a slow file transfer rate, your computer or the computer of the person you are communicating with might be behind a network address translator (NAT) or a firewall. To fix this problem, you must enable Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) on your NAT or purchase a NAT which is UPnP enabled. Also, you may need to upgrade your NAT firmware.

This is the message I get from MSN?

I even upgraded to 2mb yesterday and MSN is still torturously slow.

As Jack said, it doesn't look like McAfee that's slowing me down so any other tips lads?

Cheers.

Trending Topics

Old 10 March 2005, 08:48 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Well I have just came accross a problem with McAfee Firewall on my PC I have two PC's networked, sharing a printer and some files/folder and have just discovered that when I try to browse the files/folders on the other pc to which i'm sitting at I get a message "Incorrect Function".

I have tried everything, IP's are in the "Allow these IP Address's" within the firewall setup, XP Firewall is off but what ever I do doesn't fix it. If I uninstall the software then I can browse to the other PC fine, no problem???

Looks like I will have to use something else, shame as the anti spam, anti virus etc works well
Old 11 March 2005, 01:11 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Right click Security Center, go to Firewall, then Utility, click Trusted adresses... could be wrong on the name here.. few beers! Make sure you have trust local do da's checked.