Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iMac and IE/Safari problem

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2005, 07:56 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iMac and IE/Safari problem

Hello - I seem to be having a problem accessing Yahoo using my iMac (OSX 10.3.8) and both IE and Safari. Every other webpage loads without problem, but when I try to view my Yahoo email page, the page will only part load. This happens with both IE and Safari, and it doesn't make any difference if I go straight to the page via bookmarks, or Yahoo homepage (which again only part loads).

I've tried reseting Safari, emptying the cache, removing cookies on IE, deleting the history - all the obvious things (well at least obvious to me !!) - can anyone offer any other suggestions. Could there be something set in the Norton Firewall that could prevent that one page from loading (that's the only other thing I can think of)

I can plug my G3 Powerbook (OS9.2) into the broadband and there's no problem at all accessing the pages.

Any ideas? or is it necessary to reinstall IE and Safari

Cheers

Gareth
Old 22 March 2005, 08:04 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

To answer my own question, I've just disabled the Firewall, and the page now loads - so its obviously something to do with that - can anyone explain how the Firewall could block that one specific site, I haven't specified any specific blocks.
Old 23 March 2005, 02:48 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

assume you mean the built in firewall in OS X? I can't think of a reason why the firewall would block this, though the built in firewall does prevent incomming connections, maybe that yahoo page is trying to push some call through to the machine, and the firewall is disallowing it for some reason.

What was the url of the page you were trying? I'll give it a go here and see if I get the same problem, and try and find out what was going on.
Old 23 March 2005, 09:59 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Thanks Marcus, I'm fairly certain its something related to the settings in Norton Personal Firewall.

I disabled the firewall and then enabled it again and things seem to be fine...I'll have another look at it tonight when I get home, and any further problems I'll let you know

Cheers, Gareth
Old 23 March 2005, 01:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ah ok, you're using Norton. Thought you were using the built in OS X firewall.

If you want a free (think it's free) software firewall then BrickHouse is rather good, but if you're happy with Norton then that's cool.
Old 24 March 2005, 12:14 AM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Cheers m8 - it seems to be fine now, bl00dy computers !!
Old 24 March 2005, 01:33 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Get a proper computer and not one of those stupid imac toys

Trending Topics

Old 24 March 2005, 02:12 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

You mean one of those machines that you *have* to have some form of firewall or antivirus software enabled on *before* you connect to the internet, otherwise within a very short space of time you'll end up with god knows what kind of spyware/adware/malware/virus/trojan on your machine?

One thing I didn't say was that I don't have the firewall or any virus software installed on any of my macs here. Have never needed to, and until the first proper mac virus comes out, don't think I'll need to either. OK, so there could be some SSH exploits out there that could effect me, but I've not got SSH enabled, nor have I got any form of file sharing (AFP/SMB/FTP, etc...) enabled.

There IS a hardware firewall in place, but the macs are outside this firewall, they don't need the protection. The PC's on the other hand, well I will not allow a single PC to be put on the network unlesss it's been cleaned before it goes on the network, and even then, it'll be behind the firewall, and it'll still be running spyware removal tools and virus detection software.
Old 24 March 2005, 03:28 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EvilKyote
Get a proper computer and not one of those stupid imac toys
This particular problem has been caused by Norton, a pretty useless utility for the Mac which does more harm than good.

Get back under the bridge.
Old 24 March 2005, 06:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Andy,
Wasn't sure if he missed a from the end of his comment or not, hence my not total vitrolic response

I'd much rather have a "toy" on my desk, which I can reliably be able to use, than a "proper" computer that will be choked with all manner of nasties, if it's not secured against such things before attaching it to the internet.

As an experiement, we took a brand new PC, put norton on it, scanned the OS (was clean) and just set it to alert us to problems. We then plugged it into the 'open' side of our firewall, within 10 seconds of being connected to the internet in this manner, norton popped up to say it had detected the blaster virus. Not too clever! We turned off norton and let the machine sit there for 2 hours, we went to a few websites in the two hours. then disconnected it and ran norton and spybot search and destory. We were horrified at the number of things it found.

Does make me wonder how the average joe, who knows nothing about computers actually has a nice clean system.