Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Network Newbie Help! Simple 2 PC Setup

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2005, 12:12 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Network Newbie Help! Simple 2 PC Setup

Hi people,
Hopefully one of you guys may be able to help, as I'm about to throw the router through the window!!! At work we run a couple of PC's, both now running XP with SP2. I purchased a 3com ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall router, even though we are not yet using BBand here!!!! still dial-up. We only use it to access email, so not to unuseable! The only reason for putting a router in, was so that when we do get BBand, it can be shared between the two. Now for the problem. I can 'SEE' the shared files on one computer(1) from the other computer(2). I CANT see the shared files back the other way through! From the computer that cant 'SEE' back the other way, I've used the PING command, and can get a response back from the router, but it 'times out' when i try to PING the other computer. I have set both PC's to "obtain an IP automatically" and run the network setup wizard, rebooted the PC's still to no avail. I've turned off firewalls, reset the router more than once and still cant get a result. The folders on each computer are definatley set to 'be shared'. Both computers are "wired" by the way, and im not using any wireless at all. Please help, or point me in the right direction!

Many thanks,

Proby.
Old 01 June 2005, 01:13 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

for elimination purposes

are they on the same workgroup??

have you dropped both the firewalls on the computers (sp2 firewalls) (sorry just read you have done this)

can the computer that cant be seen access the net

does it pick up an ip address (ipconfig /all)

Last edited by mike1210; 01 June 2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01 June 2005, 02:55 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mike1210
for elimination purposes

are they on the same workgroup??

have you dropped both the firewalls on the computers (sp2 firewalls) (sorry just read you have done this)

can the computer that cant be seen access the net

does it pick up an ip address (ipconfig /all)
I was talking to Proby about this yesterday and from what I could gather the router is giving both the computers IP addresses, both computers are accessing the net (dial up) independent of each other via phone lines and they both are using the same workgroup name.

Last edited by Tim-Grove; 01 June 2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01 June 2005, 03:00 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

By the way think he said both PC’s are running Win XP Home if that makes any difference.
Old 01 June 2005, 05:06 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked that the allocated IP addresses are a) different, and b) in the same range? If you don't know, type ipconfig /all in a DOS window. Personally I always manually set IP addresses.

Next, are you using a firewall? If so, does the problem stay when it is off? On both machines?

I assume you've tried the standard M$ is cr*p solution number 1: reboot a few times? It's amazing how many network problems this fixes.

M
Old 01 June 2005, 08:41 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

They have both definately got the same workgroup name, both got different computer names, both firewalls off. The IP addy's are in the same range (i.e all the same apart from the end number 1, 2, 3. A bit more info, if i click on 'view workgroup computer' in MY NETWORK PLACES, (on the computer im having probs with) sometimes it will show both computer names, other times it hang for a while, then will return the message "network path not avail, or you may not be authorised to access this network, please consult the network administrator!" I am the administrator!!!!! Its really bugging me now, cant figure it out. I have even gone down the route of replacing all the patch cables one by one etc to no avail. I will keep on trying!!

Proby.
Old 01 June 2005, 08:51 PM
SeanT
Scooby Regular

Post Help

Is 'File and Print sharing' loaded on both PC's

to see this right click on My Network places, select properties, right click and properties on your n/w connection you should see it loaded with tcp/ip etc....

Originally Posted by Proby521
They have both definately got the same workgroup name, both got different computer names, both firewalls off. The IP addy's are in the same range (i.e all the same apart from the end number 1, 2, 3. A bit more info, if i click on 'view workgroup computer' in MY NETWORK PLACES, (on the computer im having probs with) sometimes it will show both computer names, other times it hang for a while, then will return the message "network path not avail, or you may not be authorised to access this network, please consult the network administrator!" I am the administrator!!!!! Its really bugging me now, cant figure it out. I have even gone down the route of replacing all the patch cables one by one etc to no avail. I will keep on trying!!

Proby.
Old 02 June 2005, 07:28 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Did you set up new shares on the machines, or just enable sharing?

M
Old 02 June 2005, 01:09 PM
jhdee
Scooby Regular

I hope someone comes up with an answer to this one cos I have exactly the same problem and its driving me nuts !!! It also appears that there are a number of others who have had the same probs - would be interested to know how they fixed their situation.

jhdee
Old 03 June 2005, 04:11 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
Did you set up new shares on the machines, or just enable sharing?

M

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but I run the network wizard on both machines, and did'nt just enable sharing. It really is driving me nuts too!

Proby.
Old 03 June 2005, 05:46 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Open Windows Explorer, and right click on the C:\ drive. Choose "Sharing...". In the window that pops up, there will be two lines which say "Share name" and "Comment". Click on the down arrow at the end of "Share name". Is "C$" the only choice? If so, you need to create a new share: Click the "New Share" button at the bottom. In the new window, type in a Share Name (I use Win_2K for the main partition for instance) - this is what will appear as the drive name from the remote machine. Don't worry about a comment. Leave everything else alone, and OK it. Make sure the new share is available on the pull-down menu next to "Share Name" on the first window. Click OK. I'd probably reboot at this point. Do the same on both machines.

The reason for this is that shares ending with a $ are hidden, and can only be found by typing in the full path.

If there already is a second share name, then get back.

M
Old 03 June 2005, 08:25 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

do the above plus you dont have any crossover cable do you????

try linking them up that way without the router to see if there any difference, it will probably be the same but worth a try