Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows Media Player 10 problem

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2005, 12:42 AM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Windows Media Player 10 problem

So I've just finished ripping a load of CDs from my collection, and I noticed that the default directory for the ripped music location, had changed back to the default one for my user profile (when I set Media Player up, I changed it to a directory on a second partition).

This means that my music was being ripped to my primary partition, on which I don't have much space.

I changed the default directory again in Media Player (to the location on the second partition) and then moved all the music folders to the specified directory. However, the cover art no longer appears on the album folders.
Also, when I deleted an album, the play list remained.

Where are the play lists held and what else do I need to move?

Or is it better for me to delete all the music and start again?

Anyone else had this problem?
I think my firewall prompted me to allow Windows Media Player setup to contact the internet, so I presume that's when the default directory was re-set. Seems a bit odd though.
Old 02 June 2005, 02:08 PM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Bump!

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 02 June 2005, 02:58 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Media Player can take a while to figure out what has gone from your collection. Generally it sorts itself out eventually though. Leave it playing on random for a few hours and it will probably have worked it all out by magic. If not, delete stuff through WMP rather than directly within the folders.

To get the artwork on the folders, assuming you're using XP, right click on the folder for a given album - properties - customise - select Music Album as the folder type. I dunno how to apply that to all of the folders at once though sorry.

Old 02 June 2005, 04:20 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Never used WMP10 to rip a Cd. I'd use CDex personally.
Old 03 June 2005, 06:39 PM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Problem sorted.

I deleted the playlists from the library, but not the tracks themselves. I then got Media Player to search for new media and it correctly found all the tracks on the other drive.

The cover art still doesn't appear on the folders in the drive, but hey, it's working.

I still don't know why Media Player would change the default music directory, but I'll just have to make sure I don't allow media player set-up, to have access to the internet!

Thanks.
Old 14 June 2005, 10:12 AM
shawa
Scooby Regular

Talking

It wasn't sorted after all!!! But it is now.

I had to change the folder in the library section of the Options too - Monitor Folders.

I also got the album artwork to appear on the folders, by right clikcking on the relevant folder, selecting Properties > Customize, and changing the type of folder view.

Just wanted to post the info. in case anyone else had the same problem.