Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone using Bulldog 8meg broadband yet?

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2005, 06:49 PM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using Bulldog 8meg broadband yet?

http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/resi...about_8meg.asp

Looks tempting, anyone tried it yet?
Old 05 June 2005, 10:54 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Obviously they haven't but I'm heading over there to have a look
Old 05 June 2005, 10:59 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

See it works from a BT line, that adds another tenner to the price for rental on their interactive rates which would then be 39.50 a month.

BT used to say that it was difficult getting adsl to run fast on the old phone lines, I guess this works differently then?

I'll stick with my 3mb from ntl for now
Old 06 June 2005, 01:48 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that is only available to ppl in London is it not?
Old 06 June 2005, 07:43 AM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Rates are a rip off

Same here.....will stick with NTL connection
Old 06 June 2005, 09:19 AM
kernel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
See it works from a BT line, that adds another tenner to the price for rental on their interactive rates which would then be 39.50 a month.

BT used to say that it was difficult getting adsl to run fast on the old phone lines, I guess this works differently then?

I'll stick with my 3mb from ntl for now
I think Bulldog are one of the people doing LLU, thus take over the complete phone line, no line rental to BT. But I've heard mixed reports from elsewhere as how good an experience this is.

Interestingly they sent me an offer to try their 8MB service for £1 for a month, shame they didn't check to see if I can actually get the service.
Old 06 June 2005, 10:41 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by kernel
I think Bulldog are one of the people doing LLU, thus take over the complete phone line, no line rental to BT. But I've heard mixed reports from elsewhere as how good an experience this is.
Correct, if you look at the posts on the ADSL forums, you will see that it doesnt look like a very promising service. People left without a phone service for days, seems to be a regular occurrance. Their CS is shocking to.
Old 06 June 2005, 01:18 PM
Uroboros
Scooby Newbie

I've had 8Mb broadband for about 6 months now with Uk Online.
http://www.ukonline.net/broadband/broadband8000.php

Haven't had any problems so far. Looks like the network service is actually provided by easynet. There is a bandwidth cap per month but I think it's about 500G so unless you're hammering it you should be ok.

Apparently not all exchanges support the 8Mb option so you'll need to check with them though.

Hope that helps you
Old 06 June 2005, 02:13 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Both UK Online and Bulldog utilise LLU ie they put their own equipment in the exchange - although BT are about to trial 8MB and NTL are toying with the idea of ADSL2
Old 12 June 2005, 12:25 AM
cube
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi,

Just seen your post. I have Bulldog 8mb broadband. TBH the process has been painful.
I ordered the Super@ctive package, which gives me 8mb uncapped download and up 400k upload. Unlimited free local and national calls, with favourable rates (compared to BT) to mobiles, international etc.
I placed my order mid March this year and the offer then was £1 line move charge and £40pm (for 1st 12months rising to £52 after that) for phone line and broadband. At that time they were only offering a 4mb service.
As I was an existing 2mb customer of Bulldog for the last 2years, I asked how much downtime would there be. I was told by one CS representative less than 2 hours, and another said up to 21 working days!
My service contined uninterrupted til June 1st. I had noticed during May that I was occasionally getting download speeds of upto 400kbps well over what a 2 meg line should do, but my DSL modem still said 2272/278 link speeds.
I received in late May a couple of emails saying I should expect a connection on May 31st as tests showed my line capable of the upgrade.
On June 1st my DSL went dead, and Bulldog CS wasn't obtainable by phone at all. In fact any department tried was unavailable. I eventually got thru on Sunday evening (4days later) to be told I would have a service by Monday evening. Well Monday came and went - no DSL. During all this my phone service was unaffected, but I received correspondence from my existing Telecoms(BT & Sky) that my service would be ceasing on 31st May. On the 7th June my voice service ended, and to date is still off, but on that day my DSL came on and my router shows a connection speed of 7104/576. Not quite a full 8mb download but near enough, but an incredible half meg upload rate!
So in all I'm in mixed moods, yes the DSL is incredibly fast, and cost wise it is cheaper overall taking in line rental and call costs, but it has taken ages to get on, with my phone still unavailable after 5 days. Customer Services was unobtainable (a recorded message reports 'We are experiencing high call volumes!' - then hangs up!!!) and if you do get thru no-one seems to know what is going on!
Recently the message has been removed and after a half hour waiting on hold I got thru and was told my phone is due to be brought on imminently, so finger crossed, but I doubt I'll have a service before next Monday.
I believe they've taken on too much business and are struggling to cope at present.
A work colleague has just signed up as a new customer, so it'll be interesting to see what experience he has, and how long it takes them.

Regards,

Cube.
Old 12 June 2005, 10:06 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I'd second that I am meant ot be on $mb at the end of May and they only connected me up recnelty at 1Mb and have overcharged me.

Service is poor.

That said I now think they may have set me up wrongly as this thing flies, certainly much quicker than a 1Mb line !

AllanB
Old 13 June 2005, 08:10 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Interesting service - not sure that I'd actually need it at the moment to be honest. Bearing in mind that most of my customers, probably average no more than 512K for the average office connection. The 2Mb NTL cable connection I have flies and has been very consistent in it's performance. Speaking as a networks guy (IT security now, but I spent a long time developing ADSL modems and working with BT at Martelsham on testing), I'd be inclined to wait and see what ADSL2 services become available.

If you look at the pricing structure in France for ADSL2 services, it makes all existing DSL / cable services in this country look very expensive! There is a massive increase in bandwidth and I do think this will represent the long term future of broadband services.

As soulgirl said, there are big differences in speed and performance, which is dependent on your local exhange (BT went through a phase of using aluminium, as opposed to copper for wiring phones lines at the exchange - fine for voice, not so good for broadband, where the poorer conductive properties hinder the quality and strength of the frequencies used for broadband services). This is why we now face this problem of having to rewire many connections.

And to think that BT offered to swallow the cost of completely cabling the entire country with fibre (upto the curbside) 10 years ago (est cost then was several billion) in return for the right to market multimedia services and the government turned them down! Genius
Old 13 June 2005, 09:51 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Might upgrade at some point since we bought Bulldog and get a benefit through work of all the tariffs half price!
Old 14 June 2005, 10:36 AM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

I have heard really mixed reports too, mainly complaints mind.

I can't imagine 8mb being that worthwhile at the moment, as it's surely only as effective as the networks and exchanges you go through. I haven't noticed much of a difference between 1 and 2mb lines apart from occationally using a super fast server to download something and it flies, but general surfing I really can't notice much difference.

Nick
Old 14 June 2005, 02:36 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

i ordered bulldog 8meg with a line last week.

I'll let you all know my progress.