Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ripping dvd to view on pc

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2005, 06:42 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ripping dvd to view on pc

What format do I rip them in? I'm using "DVD SHRINK" to rip the backups, then I'm left with a 4.5gb file with the .vob extension. I've built a carputer, and want to play the copys on that. Whats the best way to convert them to play using media player 9?

chris.
Old 06 June 2005, 07:30 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cw42
What format do I rip them in? I'm using "DVD SHRINK" to rip the backups, then I'm left with a 4.5gb file with the .vob extension. I've built a carputer, and want to play the copys on that. Whats the best way to convert them to play using media player 9?

chris.
media player ain't the best at playing dvds. better using a dvd player like cyberlink powerdvd. open up the folder that contains the vob files and point it to the VIDEO_TS file. can you install this on your carputer (which i assume you you have in your car). if not then there are plugin extensions you can get for media player 9 to play dvd vob files.
Old 06 June 2005, 08:52 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

cheers bigsinky, I'll give that a try. Is there anyway I can reduce the file size though? I have a 200gb hd in the carpc, but I don't want to take up "all" the space with films though.
chris.
Old 06 June 2005, 09:12 AM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I would imagine DivX would be the way to go.

I'm sure if you google for DVD -> DivX convertors you'll find the required software.

I haven't dabled in this yet though as I'm waiting for this bloke from a forum I visit to build his carputer and tell us what the problems were
Old 06 June 2005, 10:47 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cw42
cheers bigsinky, I'll give that a try. Is there anyway I can reduce the file size though? I have a 200gb hd in the carpc, but I don't want to take up "all" the space with films though.
chris.
So 'backup' the films to DVDR and play em from the DVD drive in the PC
Old 06 June 2005, 03:04 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

So 'backup' the films to DVDR and play em from the DVD drive in the PC
kind of defeats the object of having a pc in the car though! I don't want to have any discs in the car after next week

UPDATE: Just got myself a cute little keyboard with built in mouse. £25 from the local pc shop.

the top keyboard is the one I've bought, the one it's sat on is my sons and the one below is my microsoft fullsize keyboard. It's ir wireless as well, with 2 plugs for the original keyboard and mouse plugs in my pc, then wireless to the keyboard
Neat!
And here's a pic of the screen:

which is looking good so far in the house, I'm off outside in a while to try it incar. I've got a power converter in there that I use for my digicamcorder, so I'll power the system up to see what it looks like
chris.