Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Apple and ADC/DVI

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2005, 11:38 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Apple and ADC/DVI

So I just got my new 20" cinema display and yes, it is lovely BUT
I had another screen, it's DVI and had (incorrectly) assumed the Apple screen would (like its older brothers) be an ADC input. Great I thought, My G5 has DVI + ADC on one card, old DVI screen in one as second screen, new Apple in ADC as primary.

Wrong.

The new Cinema screen is only DVI. So what the hell is the point of having the ADC on the card if their new screens aren't even ADC. I guess that's been canned cos it's so 'Apple'.

So now presumably I need an ADC to DVI convertor (i.e £30) rather than the DVI to ADC convertor (£70+)

Anyone else using two screens on their G5?
Where you get the convertor? Ebuyer looking favorite right now...
OR can I just buy another PCI graphics card?

grumble, mumble, moan, swear.......

Rich
Old 13 July 2005, 09:58 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

?

I am using 2 screens on mine. One new 20" Apple display which is plugged into the default left hand side port on the G5's card and the older monitor is plugged into the other port using an adaptor.

Giving the below result...

I just used a standard convertor for the old monitor, it was £30 and it works a charm.
Old 13 July 2005, 02:13 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Look at him showing off with his 15" titanium g4.....
I have a ropey old g3 with a nice white line all the way down the screen as my remote machine.......

I do have a beige g3/b&w g3/grey g4 and the DP G5 with the 20", oh and the iSight too

LOL

So why dont the Apple screens come with the ADC anymore, that's what I don't get.

Also, do you synch up your two machines completely i.e all the OS/installed apps/services and mail etc or are they used for two different reasons? If you do, what software are you using? (I think you may have answered this when I asked a while ago...)

Oh, and are those Ikea cd shelfs in the background, we've got them too
Old 13 July 2005, 02:54 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

We had this when the MacIntel turned up. card is a DVI only card, pure digital, no analog ports on it at all. we're all in the stone age here, using VGA monitors (dual heading using VGA to DVI adaptors) so we don't have any pure digital monitors.

As the card is pure digital, there is no adaptor out there we could use (does make some sense) It would have been nice if this limitation was pointed out in the tech specs of the box (not that there are any) when you order it.
Old 13 July 2005, 02:57 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Correct on the IKEA shelves, and desk, and TV stand, and drawers and pen holder...

I use the laptop when out on the road it's specifically for one area of what I do, so the G5 and the PB have a single folder which is synced using Chronosync. It automatically does it whenever both of them are on the network together.

You can sync an entire HD if you desire but thanks to the file sizes involved its better to sync as little as possible, saying that though, it only syncs changed and new items so you wouldn't have to do the whole thing everytime.

I think they dropped the ADC thing because it wasn't working out very well as it made it more difficult for 3rd parties to make the graphics cards, something like that anyhow.
Old 13 July 2005, 03:57 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

ADC was dropped because it was more expensive to manufacture graphics cards and monitors to feature ADC rather than DVI, was running into power limits and I guess would have needed updating to support dual-link connections needed for large monitors like the 30" Cinema. It was the devil's work right from the start.

Get yourself an ADC to DVI adaptor, I think they're about 20 quid on apple.com

Death to ADC!

Alex
Old 13 July 2005, 05:25 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

I've just ordered that sodding adapter.... £35 on the Apple site all in...
Found others for <£20 but for the extra bit, might as well get something I know is going to work (he hopes...)
Old 15 July 2005, 11:43 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

...and of course the one you get from Apple is actually a Belkin one you could have had for £25.....

Oh well, live and learn.