Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Terminal Server 2003 - application publishing possible without Citrix??

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2005, 04:30 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Terminal Server 2003 - application publishing possible without Citrix??

We have a database app that we run over our corporate VPN. It's slow as **** even with the upgrade to our Internet lines (4Mb both directions), so I was hoping to stick the client on a 2003 server and run Terminal Services.

In the past I've only used Citrix on top of the MS OS, but I wondered if MS offer application publishing as I don't want (need) to run a full remote desktop session just for a single app.

Basically want it seamless on the client desktops without having to fork out extra software & licenses with Citrix App Server.

Stefan
Old 13 July 2005, 06:06 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. We're running a database client for a database that lives on another server, think it's Sybase or something weird. Once you've installed TS in application mode, you just install the app, sort odbc settings or whatever, give them an icon and that's it. You don't have to go through control panel / add remove programs any more. Don't need to run compatibility scripts either. We're using the mstsc.exe as the client which comes with XP, but runs on 2000 too.
Old 13 July 2005, 07:18 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

With Citrix, the user has a desktop icon (say Word) and when they double-click it it looks the same whether it runs locally or remotely from a Citrix server.

But when your users runs the mstsc client, does it just run the app or does it give them a seperate desktop with the app inside?

I know the server side, what I'm after is something completely seamless for the users IYSWIM.

Stefan

Last edited by ozzy; 13 July 2005 at 07:35 PM.
Old 13 July 2005, 07:27 PM
ChrisB

AFAIK, the closest you'll get without a MetaFrame server is to specify that a program is run on connection.

For instance, from an XP Client, go into Accessories > Comms > RDC.

Click Options to expand and you'll get a Programs tab.
Old 13 July 2005, 07:36 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I saw that Chris but I was hoping they had added single application publishing. The run on connection works, but you get all the bloated stuff like a desktop, start menu, etc.. too
Old 14 July 2005, 10:40 AM
J1nxy
Scooby Regular

Nope they haven't added that functionality and to be honest aren't likely too as Citrix are a parnter and thats one of their selling points. The only way to to do it is as Chris B said, use the run program option.

Steve
Old 14 July 2005, 06:17 PM
workshy_fopp
Scooby Regular

We're running a full desktop, Office XP, Outlook and our database app over a 64k/128k isdn line so i wouldn't worry on 4Mb. Performance is fine other than printing. We had to install propriety printing software (simplify printing) to get round it.
Old 15 July 2005, 11:56 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

It's not the performance that worrys me it's that we don't need or want to run a full desktop. I want it to appear just like any other app running on their desktop. i.e. they have and icon, double-click and it launches the app.

I used to be a Citrix consultant in a former life and we run some direct from customer sites, but I was hoping we wouldn't have to install additional software just to run our app internally. There's a lot of bloated stuff that comes with the Citrix software that we just don't need

Stefan