Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

HP Laserjet 4MPlus Jetdirect - you want one for £0?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2005, 10:08 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool HP Laserjet 4MPlus Jetdirect - you want one for £0?

Hi

I've got one of these in my garage going begging. Been using for a few years and it's a reliable old workhorse with good B&W printing (600dpi?). Too big for my desk now and I can't see myself using it again. Can't be arsed with eBay as the things too bulky to post and probably wouldn't get much for it. Could just dump at the tip (sorry - Civic Disposal Amenity Site) but would rather someone here take it off my hands as it's got a lot of life left in it and it's pretty useful if you have the same setup I used to have - 3 or 4 PCs running all sorts with a single central printer...

It's fitted with a JetDirect card for easy networking though you can attach direct to PC via parallel interface if you want.
Additional (separate) paper tray that sits under printer (though I've never really used this as the first time I tried it jammed on me and I didn't need the extra capacity)
A couple of toner cartridges (unknown quantities of toner)

If anyone wants it and can pick up from Reading area pls let me know. Looks something like this random image I found on the web
http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/woods/main_one.jpg

Joolz
Old 16 July 2005, 03:59 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Is the 4M the PostScript version? If nobody wants the thing complete, I'll take the PostScript SIMM and any other RAM you have for the cost of postage and some beer money My LJ4 would like some upgrades!
Old 16 July 2005, 05:57 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by class_A
Is the 4M the PostScript version? If nobody wants the thing complete, I'll take the PostScript SIMM and any other RAM you have for the cost of postage and some beer money My LJ4 would like some upgrades!
Errr I dunno! Not something I've ever used to my knowledge but don't know if it was specced as PS as I got it second hand myself. Is there a way I can print off a test page that will tell me yay or nay without dragging the whole thing back to the desk and computer?

Joolz
Old 17 July 2005, 10:50 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Ok, plug it in (no need for PC) and do the following:

1. Power On
2. Press "On Line" key, red light should go out
3. Press "Menu" until "Test Menu" is displayed
4. Press "Item" until "Self Test" is displayed
5. Press "Enter"

Printer will then do "05. Self Test" and "06. Printing Test" and will spit out a sheet of A4 with all the config settings and installed options listed.

Down the bottom of the page you will find "RAM Size", "Installed Options" and "Installed Personalities" which should tell us what we need to know.

Cheers!
Alex