Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Mcafee / Script error

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2005, 06:53 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy Mcafee / Script error

Hello

I have had a long running problem with Mcafee Version 7.0,basically version 6.0 had to be uninstalled before installing v 7.0, I can uninstall everything bar the Privacy Service, I spent 4 hours on "chat" with various members of the staff, trying various routes going through the registry and trying to delete in safe mode but none could solve the problem, even the supervisor, he told me he would read through all of the contact on chat and would e-mail me but they don't seem to be responding and everytime I go on the mcafee "chat" and quote my ref they just ask the same bloody questions and I spend an hour going over old ground but hey that's Indian call centres for you.

The underlying problem I have is when ever I'm trying to remove the Privacy the following script error appears

Line: 85
Char: 3
Error: Type mismatch:"GetsilentUninstFlags"
Code: 0
URL: mcp://c\program~1
\Mcafee.com\agent\uninst\mpsrem.ui::uninstall.htm

I have tried taking the yes and no option but still I cant rid my pc of the Privacy Service, I have tried reintsalling v 7.0 but it knows the privacy is still there and wont install completely and the parts that do install wont work properly.

It's now begining to do my head in if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it as ever.

Thanks

Dave
Old 19 July 2005, 07:10 PM
mid_life_crisis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave

It will probably take some registry editing to kill it, but set a system restore point before doing it, and don’t do it at all if you are not familiar with the registry.

Personally I’d attempt a safe mode uninstall then search the registry for all Mcafee entries and delete them, I’d then reboot and run a program called Registry Mechanic (www.pc-tools.com) which will fix any bust bits. Reboot and reinstall the software. Again personally speaking I’d go for a more serious less resource hungry anti virus solution like F-Prot (www.f-prot.com)
Old 19 July 2005, 07:30 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Thanks MLC

Im no expert so I dont go into the registry alone !!

I've done the removal through the registry and in safe mode with the guys from Mcafee, now when I look in Add/Remove progs the privacy shows no file size i.e 3.5gb or whatever it was but it's still there, although I havent tried Registry Mechanic (www.pc-tools.com), I shall have a look at that and hope it sorts the script error which may the allow me to finally remove Privacy.

We'll see
Old 19 July 2005, 07:47 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

it brought up 460 errors and managed to repair all but 287 of them and yes the word mcafee popped up all over the place, I used to really like Mcafee but this is seriously making me go back to Norton or even your link. As mentioned im no expert so I think its time to back everything up and reinstall XP and see if that gets rid of the problem.

Thanks for the links BTW

Dave
Old 19 July 2005, 08:44 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Let me know how you get on, email me your reference number if you like and I'll make sure someone in our Indian call center in Ireland investigates properly.

jack_clark@mcafee.com
Old 20 July 2005, 06:52 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by JackClark
Let me know how you get on, email me your reference number if you like and I'll make sure someone in our Indian call center in Ireland investigates properly.

jack_clark@mcafee.com
Hi Jack, Ireland?? are you sure??, this was the Mcafee "chat" and there were no Mc's or O's on line.

I'll dig out my ref later and e-mail you, yes this is the same problem I had back in may / june, a case of me taking my time to get in touch with "chat" and then "chat" being bamboozled by the look of things.

p.s. would a back up and XP reinstall be a quick fix?

Cheers

Last edited by Funkii Munkii; 20 July 2005 at 06:56 AM.
Old 20 July 2005, 08:12 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I do a reinstall every now and then just for fun. It's always nice to freshen up. Just make sure you've backed up everything you want to keep. Oh and make sure you have broadband to download the Windows Updates.
Old 20 July 2005, 10:27 AM
mid_life_crisis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave
If you ran the evaluation version it will not repair deep scan errors, could be worth springing the £15 or so to register it as it then should fix all errors. That little program has saved my life more than once

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
it brought up 460 errors and managed to repair all but 287 of them and yes the word mcafee popped up all over the place, I used to really like Mcafee but this is seriously making me go back to Norton or even your link. As mentioned im no expert so I think its time to back everything up and reinstall XP and see if that gets rid of the problem.

Thanks for the links BTW

Dave
Old 22 July 2005, 11:40 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Jack

YHM

Thanks
Old 22 July 2005, 11:43 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis
Dave
If you ran the evaluation version it will not repair deep scan errors, could be worth springing the £15 or so to register it as it then should fix all errors. That little program has saved my life more than once

I think I will do

Thanks again