Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless Network / PC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2005, 07:50 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless Network / PC Problems

I have a belkin router which is wirelesly connected to a laptop and a Desktop.

The Laptop is working fine and is connected to the network with no problems.

I recently set up the desktop for wireless connectiviy via a USB wireless network adaptor. It worked fine when set up however went from working to not working within the space of a minute.

It now won't connect at all and when removing the USB adaptor from the USB port it shuts the PC down. My first thought is that I have got a virus but it is not being found by the Virus Checker (Norton).

Any ideas? This is driving me up the wall!!!
Old 20 July 2005, 07:58 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Un-install the USB network adaptor's drivers and check for a newer version with the manufacturer's website. Also check the network adaptor's compatibility with the router. I had problems trying to get a Dlink wireless network card connecting to a Netgear router. In the end I finished up buying a Netgear wireless card and now it works fine.
Old 20 July 2005, 09:15 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Thanks MJW.

I have all Belkin kit so I assume it is compatible. I did work Ok when I initially installed it.

I have unistalled several times and have the latest drivers.

I will check with Belkin support and see what they say.

PS you don't know any good independant PC repair shops in West Yorks do you?
Old 21 July 2005, 01:45 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Are other USB devices working OK, and does the router pick up the adaptor's signal but just not let it use any network services ? If it's the latter check the Windows network settings match on both machines. Make sure the motherboard's drivers are up to date.

Also there maybe bits of driver still left in your system which are causing a conflict. If you have something like JV16 Power Tools installed use the registry cleaner to zap any leftover registry entries.

Check the SSID on the laptop and on the router are the same and that Wireless Encryption keys are the same (or switched off till you get sorted). Do a re-scan on the router for wireless devices if the option is available. Check that the router is using the same 802.11x spec as the network adaptor ie. the same speed.

Thats about all I can think of unless you've tried all that ? I must admit I've had a load of bother with wireless networking, it seems very hit and miss.

If you get really stuck there's 6D systems in Batley (tel 01924 500718) or CCL Computers in Tong, but do have a go yourself first, there's bound to be a straightforward solution !
Old 21 July 2005, 02:39 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Thanks again MJW.

Well, after a long call to Belkin who were pretty helpful I was advised to return the wireless adaptor and get a new one.

New one installed and guess what? It works!!

Must admit though the wireless does seem a lot more unrelaible that the wired commection.