Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PC's Can't see Each Other Over Wireless Network??

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2005, 08:49 AM
Scotch Steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PC's Can't see Each Other Over Wireless Network??

Hope someone can help.

Basically I have a wireless access point, I use this to connect to the internet from both my laptop (2000) & desktop (XP). However I don't seem to be able to network the two machines, in as much as when both are attached to the wireless access point/router and I am on one machine I can't see the other. All I want to do is be able to transfer some data from one to the other, I'm sure it's simple but some guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old 11 August 2005, 08:50 AM
Haywood_Jablome
Scooby Regular

Have you tried temporarily disabling firewalls ?
Old 11 August 2005, 09:12 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

are they on the same workgroup? can they both see the router and are getting IP addresses (into dos prompt type ipconfig /all)? The IP address provided should be typically 192.168.xxx.xxx

Are both PC's on DHCP in network settings?

Also which router do you have? As haywood said do you have any firewalls running?

If they are running on wireless now are the drivers for the wireless cards installed correctly and no conflicts shown up in device manager?

mike

Last edited by mike1210; 11 August 2005 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11 August 2005, 09:28 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Also, can you ping eithers IP address from each other? Is sharing enabled?
Old 11 August 2005, 09:34 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

If simple file sharing is not enabled it can cause problems I believe
Old 11 August 2005, 01:26 PM
Scotch Steve
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies to date.

In summary, I have a Netgear router which has a built in firewall, both are assigned an IP address, and I can use both at the same time to connect to the router and go on the internet. Not sure about the file sharing, does it need to be enabled on both machines, and more importantly where/how do I do it.

Cheers

Steve
Old 11 August 2005, 02:03 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure simple file sharing is used by default on xp. On home edition it's the only type as it doesn't support NTFS permissions.

Anyway if you go into control panel and network connections, right click on the network connection and click properties, make sure a tick is next to file and printer sharing (both computers). You will have to share a file for it to be visable on the network. However if you click on my network places and workgroup computers you should be able to "see" both computers. The computer names should be displayed on the computer icons

to share a folder, right click on the desired folder. Select sharing and security and there should be a tick box with share this folder on the network. Tick that and apply. The folder will now have a slightly different icon with a hand on it. This folder should now be visable from the other computer (this method may differ a little on win 2000)

can you ping one computer from the other? open up the dos prompt and type ping (and then the other computers IP address)

example

ping 192.168.xxx.xxx

finally do you have the latest wireless drivers for your devices, i know that win 2000 doesnt have the support for it that XP does

Last edited by mike1210; 11 August 2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12 August 2005, 08:24 AM
Scotch Steve
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mike,

Cheers for that, think I know where I'm going wrong and what I need to do, I thought I'd enabled sharing in the network properties and I had, but didn't realise I needed to set it up on the relevant folders. Will amend this tonight and hopefully problem solved.

Cheers

Steve