Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Virus detected but now dial up issues..

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2005, 08:53 PM
Nigeyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Virus detected but now dial up issues..

Can anyone help

couple of days ago Norton AV detected a trojan virus from a website www.bitchar-g.co.uk, seemed to clear everything up and my dial up window still quotes my original ISP number etc.., but it keeps opening up automatically on start up. I have looked in the start up folders, but can't find refernence to the "dialup" window.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what is happening or where to look?

Cheers
Nige
Old 18 August 2005, 09:30 PM
KeithRS
Scooby Regular

Firstly i would install avg antivirus and do a full system scan. If your running Windows XP, then i would goto the control panel, then the network and internet connections and then network connections. if your on dial-up then there should be only one item under internet gateway. If theres more than one then delete the un-necessary items. Be warned, that as a dial-up user, virus infection on your pc can lead to autoconnection to premium telephone numbers and you'll know all about it when you get the next bill in. Safest way for dial-up users is to unplug the telephone cable from the wall socket or at the modem when not online, and especially away from the pc assuming you leave it on.

From what your saying about the connect dialogue box appearing at startup, it would seem to me that the virus remains, and is trying to connect to the internet to function (albeit your original isp). Make sure you serach the windows/system32 folders when doing the antivirus search as this is the most common place for the virus to be.

You could also hit start/run then type in msconfig then the startup tab along the top. This will display a list of files loaded automatically at startup. look for anything suspicious. If unsure on a particular item, type it into google and it will more than likely tell you what its for, and if its part of a virus.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Link at bottom of page for download.
Old 18 August 2005, 11:40 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Open Internet Explorer. Click the Tools menu and select Internet Options. Click the Connections tab. There should be three options with radio buttons : Never Dial a Connection, Dial whenever a network connection is not present & Always dial my default connection. Make sure Never Dial a Connection is selected if you want to use your dialup manually.
It sounds like a program is still starting up and trying to use the dialup.
Old 19 August 2005, 08:56 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

get cws shredder too!!!

sounds like cws hijacker..

M