Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Best broadband / cable provider???

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2005, 03:01 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best broadband / cable provider???

I have been using freedom 2 surf 1mb for the past 18 months, never had so much as an outage, and service has been great and well priced.

just relocating back to London and so deciding whether to stick with what I know, or trade up to a 2mb / 4mb / 8mb line, potentially with a new provider.

as I am incredibly, stupidly and utterly busy, I am simply not going to get time to research this properly, so given the amount of knowledge that resides within this part of the board I'm interested to hear people's recommendations on current 2mb+ broadband / cable services.

not particularly bothered about TV, but would consider a joint broadband / phone package too if the price is right.

all opinions very welcome.

thanks

Ed
Old 19 August 2005, 06:27 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

blueyonder is great IMHO its just getting upgraded to a 10mb line next month i think for free and its a totally unlimited service so you can upload and download without any restrictions and i pay £35 a month
Old 19 August 2005, 06:49 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

10mb!!!
Old 19 August 2005, 06:57 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
blueyonder is great IMHO its just getting upgraded to a 10mb line next month i think for free and its a totally unlimited service so you can upload and download without any restrictions and i pay £35 a month
"The postcode you have entered is outside the Telewest Broadband cabled area. Unfortunately, this means it is not possible to offer you any of our services at present."

Any more reccommendations???
Old 20 August 2005, 01:38 AM
Morba
Scooby Newbie

try NTL, they are also doing some high bandwidth packages, however they arent the best people to be with!

if your not in a cable area then ADSL maybe better, there are a few that offer very high bandwidth (UKOnline / Bulldog) but that is only in select areas of the country at the moment.

If you go for ADSL and stability / service / speed matters, then go for Nildram.
Old 20 August 2005, 07:31 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Nildram for ADSL.

dipster
Old 20 August 2005, 07:48 AM
DPat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
Nildram for ADSL.

dipster
Was with them, just migrated to UKonline.net - PM me if you move there, we can both get a month free!

DPat
Old 20 August 2005, 09:25 PM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

Bt broadband we are with 30gb 29.99 a month T3 no limit

Chel
Old 21 August 2005, 06:31 PM
ScoobaruZXZ
Scooby Newbie

Personally, I'd stick with f2s, I'm with them and can't fault them. The support is first class and I've not had any trouble with the service.

Demon are very good to, one of big, origianl ISP's still going strong.

Paul.
Old 21 August 2005, 07:07 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobaruZXZ
Personally, I'd stick with f2s, I'm with them and can't fault them. The support is first class and I've not had any trouble with the service.

Demon are very good to, one of big, origianl ISP's still going strong.

Paul.
Yeah think i will stick with what I know.

Thanks chaps!
Old 23 August 2005, 03:38 PM
Scoobless
Scooby Regular

Location: UK300 to P1 to LEON CUPRA R to MONDEO...life sucks!!
Talking

ntl To Make 10MB Broadband Speed As standard
# Monday, August 8, 2005 by Richard Mahoney

ntl has confirmed its strategy for the delivery of next generation cable broadband services. A press release informs us, the aim is to make 10Mb its standard broadband access speed. Broadband customers will be able to choose a 10Mb service with a usage allowance to match their requirements. ntl will also offer a choice of broadband services with unlimited usage.
New broadband portfolio

The new product strategy creates a set of “up to 10Mb as standard” cable broadband products with different bandwidth options to match usage plus a series of unlimited products at different speeds.

For the first time, a customer will be able to match speed, usage allowance and price to their individual needs. A new broadband user will be able to enjoy the same 10Mb speed as an experienced surfer and as their online expertise grows, simply move up to a higher allowance. Tools will be provided to allow customers to track their usage.

The first home surfers in the UK to enjoy speeds of up to 10Mb will be ntl’s current 3Mb Broadband customers. ntl will provide them with more speed and greater usage, at no extra cost per month. By the end of this year they will have a connection of up to 10Mb, while their usage allowance will increase from 30GB to 75GB per month.

“Our broadband services will become amongst the most innovative in the world and certainly well ahead of anything else in the UK,” said Simon Duffy, Chief Executive Officer of ntl. “This is a major step towards delivering Britain’s digital future.”

By the end of 2006, the roll out of this new product portfolio will be complete. There are no plans to change monthly prices. However, some customers will need to upgrade their modem. Further details will be announced at launch.

Even higher speeds to come for cable customers

Moving customers to a 10Mb Broadband service is part of a wider progression towards services with even higher speed and greater bandwidth. ntl’s fibre-rich network means that broadband speeds of between 30Mb and 50Mb are possible through DOCSIS 3.0 (cable) or ADSL 2+ (copper). ntl has the flexibility in its dual local network to offer this type of connection in the future.

This is big news without a doubt, one customer responded with “Just watercooling the modem as we speak!”

There is, however, no information about the upload stream rate.
Old 24 August 2005, 01:51 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Check this site out: www.adslguide.org.uk
Has all your broadband needs.
Old 24 August 2005, 02:16 PM
viperkick
Scooby Regular

NTL

and as above they are due to upgrade peeps for free to 10mb very soon