Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

One for the mac people - MSN Messenger

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2005, 01:26 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One for the mac people - MSN Messenger

I'm not particularly Mac friendly so this one has me stumped

We have a 14" iBook running Tiger quite nicely. MSN Messenger also installs and runs fine but the problem is if I set MSN to start up/connect when the computer starts it attempts to connect about a second before the wireless network has connected etc and so ends up saying can't connect.

Is there a way to delay this in some way or is it just something I will have to live with?

Thanks

David
Old 21 August 2005, 03:51 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you've got a modem connection going on.....

In the network section, how many connections are there?

Just a suggestion

Dan
Old 21 August 2005, 07:12 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't actually need MSN Messenger you can use AdiumX on OS X (which will do a whole bunch of IM protocols, not just MSN), I find it much better, but I don't need all the webcammy cruft etc. I haven't had any problems with it connecting whilst Tiger re-connects to my Wireless LAN.
Old 21 August 2005, 10:44 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

in the user/accounts pref pane, there is the log in items.You can drag these down in order of when they start up, but your main problem is the wireless network.unlike a lot of apps in your startup items, the wireless network aquisition is quite late so anything that needs a web connection upon startup is going to to have a blip when it cant find the active web connection.
If msn messenger needs to the first thing to startup i will have a quick look to see how to do this for you, if not i suggest that you do it manually

BTW how are you finding the mac? great isnt it
Old 22 August 2005, 02:29 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ah, good ol wirless on a Mac You'd have thought it would have been initialised at startup (if of course you have it set to auto-connect to a network and have saved the password in the keychain) but alas not.

OK, you have a few choices. Firstly, re-order the login items so that MSN runs last. Next, don't auto run messenger when you login, wait until the desktop is accessible, then click on it's icon in the dock, by that time the network should be up.
Write a very simple applescript application and have that as a login item, the script will simply launch, wait X seconds (whatever you think is suitable) and then it'll launch MSN.
Finally, don't use MSN, use something like Adium. I have to us instant messaging for work purposes and I stopped using MSN a while ago and have been using Adium ever since. As said by others, it supports multiple protocols, which is very handy indeed, plus there are custom themes and such like. Very nice.

Personally speaking, the mac version of MSN is behind the times. even the latest release still does not have the same level of support as the PC version (hardly suprising really). As a basic chat client it's ok, but there are better options out there.
Old 22 August 2005, 02:39 PM
greenlightracer
Scooby Regular

hiya ! another mac user here since 2000 am running Tiger too with MSN and Yahoo messenger , where can i find this ADium ?
Old 22 August 2005, 03:10 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

http://www.adiumx.com/

Trending Topics

Old 22 August 2005, 03:12 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

markus

just realised that we may be misleading him here as i have just reread the post and he says he is running tiger.
ooppps no way of ordering the login items under 10.4

I think the applescript is the way to go ...