Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How to fix my PC post virus...

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2005, 08:04 PM
Nigeyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to fix my PC post virus...

Guys

as I posted a couple of days ago, my PC running XP Home seemed to detect a "trojan" virus when trying to vist www.bitchar-g.co.uk. The system totally died, but started up again OK.

Since then Dial up connection (I currently have freeserve but have ordered broadband) kept coming up on restart and other times, but I have also noticed I can't get task manager to work now - apparently the system administrator has disabled the application???

I have been running Norton AV 2005, Spyblaster and Spybot.

Can anybody recommend how I should go about getting my PC running back to normal and what I need to do? e.g. would an XP re-install help. I last backup up my personal files 2 weeks ago and not done too much since, but I have a lot of unbacked up music files I would rather not loose

HEEEEELP !! (sorry for long email)
Nige
Old 21 August 2005, 09:31 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

Nigeyboy, have you tried a System Restore? Start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore.

also try looking at the dial up network connection properties in your contol panel under network connections to see if anything is amiss.

My best advice is to rebuild if you can. A trojan could infect your system in ways you cant detect and for peace of mind I would think this your best option if you dont mind the hassle..

Last edited by swaussie; 21 August 2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 21 August 2005, 09:45 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

if you do managed to get on the internet, goto http://housecall.antivirus.com. it will scan your PC online for virus and spyware.
Old 22 August 2005, 10:24 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

May also be worth getting hold of some free virus removal tools from mcafee and/or symantec websites (http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp www.symantec.com). Save these to disk and then reboot into safemode and run. Should remove anything that is a virus and trojan for you.