Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Problems with new RAM

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2005, 11:32 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with new RAM

I've posted this on Corsair's support forum but wondered if anyone on here might also be able to help...

I've recently purchased a Corsair Value Select RAM kit for my machine (VS1GBKIT400C3) but am having a few problems. When I initially installed the RAM I set everything to Auto but the PC would boot all the way to the logon screen then restart. I ran Memtest which found a stack of errors so I set about reading up on other people's problems to see if it was a problem with my setup.

I've now manually set all of my settings and have managed to eliminate the errors from Memtest (ran for 5-6 hours last night with no errors) but I experience random restarts when i'm using the machine - I can be doing anything from browsing, to working on a document in Word when it happens - it doesn't appear to be stress related and doesn't leave any traces in the logs.

I'm fairly confident the RAM is ok (judging by the Memtest scan yesterday) but am at my wits end with trying to discover a stable setup - can ANYONE help?! Please!

My current settings are 3-4-4-8 @ 2.85v (anything less than 2.85 results in frequent crashes & errors in Memtest).

I'm running an Athlon XP3000 on an MSI KT6V-LSR with a 500w PSU by the way
So... anyone have any suggestions? It's driving me nuts and the timings are hardly extreme...!

K.
Old 24 August 2005, 11:50 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

If it's new, and there are loads of errors, why not return it to Corsair for replacement under waranntee?

Sorry not much hepl with RAM settings

Best of luck sorting it out.

Dan
Old 24 August 2005, 11:56 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

I don't think the RAM is faulty as the errors seem related to the settings I use.

At the correct settings (and with a sufficiently high voltage setting) the memory doesn't flag up any errors at all when using Memtest (which is generally a fairly conclusive tool as far as memory is concerned).

Thanks for taking the time to reply though I honestly think it's just a settings thing though.

K.
Old 24 August 2005, 12:00 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes but if ure box is unstable in XP then there is obviously some kind of compatibility issue with your mobo or psu, or combination of. I would send it back for different dimms, claiming they are faulty when used under XP. Memtest is a good tool, but it is only works under dos as you know.

How about running Knoppix (bootable nix CD) for a few hours, n see if its stable or not?
Old 24 August 2005, 12:26 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

So thats the 2x512Mb Value select kit from Corsair.
You are right, memory settings can cause WinXP to appear to work and only applications to fail. 2.85v is a hell of lot for 'stock' settings.

Have you looked at your motherboard's memory QVL to confirm these modules are supported? If yes, are you running a relatively uptodate bios version? Some motherboards advertise support for DIMMs, but of course this support is only 100% once version X of the bios is installed.

According to the Corsair website, you should be running this at 3-3-3-8 on that mobo with that memory.

Personally I've found starting at 2.6v, testing, then up'ing voltage in small increments is the best way.

Both my Corsair kits run @ 2.6v happily.

Also, make sure you are running Memtest86+, and you could try a product called goldmemory (i don't have a link to hand) to test it.
Old 24 August 2005, 01:46 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

May be worth checking out the Boards manufacturers website for any BIOS updates. Had this sort of problem with Corsair XML RAM. After 3 BIOS updates later the problem got resolved.
Old 24 August 2005, 01:56 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

I agree - 2.85 is incredibly high and it's far from my "ideal" setting but it's the only way i've been able to achieve (virtual) stability...

Bios is the latest release from MSI (version 2.0) and according to Corsair, the memory is compatible with my mainboard (it's on their compatability list anyway) - MSI KT6V-LSR.

If anyone has a similar setup and could walk me through their (stable!) settings i'd appreciate it - i'm sure it's going to be something obvious (I hope anyway!)
Old 24 August 2005, 11:21 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Maybe worth a look here:

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?ac...VzYw==;start=0

It may help you find an answer to your problem.
Old 24 August 2005, 11:49 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Thanks again for all the replies Much appreciated...

I had a bit more of a play this afternoon and made a few changes which seem to have improved things. I've also defragged the HD's, and moved the pagefile onto a separate drive (one of the BSOD messages referred to it - PFN_LIST_ERROR although there were several others also) in the hope of excluding other possible causes.

Set up is now as follows:-

Configure SDRAM timing by: USER
SDRAM Frequency: 400mhz
SDRAM CAS# Latency: 3
Row Precharge Time: 3
RAM Pulse Width: 8
Row to CAS Delay: 3
Write Recovery Cycle: AUTO
Bank Interleave: AUTO
SDRAM Burst Length: 4QW
SDRAM 1T Commabd: DISABLED
Fast R-2-R Turnaround: DISABLED

Current RAM Voltage: 2.85

Granted the voltage is still way higher than it should be but I read today that Corsair guarantee their modules up to 2.9 so i'm not overly worried - system temps seem fine so far. I ran Memtest while I was out tonight and it was error free once more so things are looking up.

Just opened up every application I have while playing a DVD and running MP3's in WMP in the hope that I could force a crash - no such luck (which is no mean feat in itself).

Fingers crossed...

K.
Old 25 August 2005, 08:12 AM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Get Prime95 and run the "Torture Test" for a while to push your CPU and RAM into high utilisation. You'll need to let it run a couple of days though.
Old 25 August 2005, 11:10 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Have I made a horrible mistake? Think I may be being a total idiot here...

On the basis that the memory is DDR-400, should I in actual fact be setting the SDRAM Frequency to 200mhz (i.e. the same as the CPU FSB)?! By setting the frequency to 400mhz am I right in saying that i'm overclocking the RAM to the extreme?

If this is right then i'm amazed i've got it to run at all - even with the voltage set to 2.85! Strangely enough it's been running stably since I altered the AGP voltage setting to 1.6 last night.

K.
Old 25 August 2005, 12:52 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kelvin

On the basis that the memory is DDR-400, should I in actual fact be setting the SDRAM Frequency to 200mhz (i.e. the same as the CPU FSB)?! By setting the frequency to 400mhz am I right in saying that i'm overclocking the RAM to the extreme?

If this is right then i'm amazed i've got it to run at all - even with the voltage set to 2.85! Strangely enough it's been running stably since I altered the AGP voltage setting to 1.6 last night.

K.
Well, one way to check is via CPUZ, available from www.cpuid.com
Download the latest version, and run it, check the Memory tab - should clearly state the speed of the memory.

I'm not sure how the FSB/MEM dividers work on the XPs, so can't really help.

But there is no way you'd be running that ram at 800Mhz or similar (2:1 MEM:FSB)..

Good luck.
Old 25 August 2005, 12:56 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

K.
lol yes it sbe set to 200mhz. No wonder it was unstable. Amazed it booted to be honest. Just goes to show how good Crucial ram is
Old 25 August 2005, 01:04 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
lol yes it sbe set to 200mhz. No wonder it was unstable. Amazed it booted to be honest. Just goes to show how good Crucial ram is
It's Corsair

Well, one way to check is via CPUZ, available from www.cpuid.com
Already have CPU-Z - the memory is currenlty running at 400mhz according to the Memory tab. My question though, was whether this should in fact, be 200mhz?
Old 25 August 2005, 03:20 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Doh

I'm sure it sbe 200mhz. Or to exact the frequency in the bios sbe set to 200mhz. CPUZ is picking up on what has been set in the bios I believe.
Old 25 August 2005, 03:26 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
Doh

I'm sure it sbe 200mhz. Or to exact the frequency in the bios sbe set to 200mhz. CPUZ is picking up on what has been set in the bios I believe.
Depends on the memory divider doesn't it?

Kelvin - do you have a memory divider set, like 2:1 to 1:1 or similar, your mobo manual should help you work out what you need.

As I said, haven't used XPs before or that motherboard.

Sorry chap.
Old 25 August 2005, 04:12 PM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

I don't have a memory divider option i'm afraid, no. There's nothing in the manual on the detailed settings for RAM

K.
Old 25 August 2005, 05:49 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

I don't have a memory divider option i'm afraid, no. There's nothing in the manual on the detailed settings for RAM

K.
I know on my Nvidia Nforce 2 board if you set the FSB to 166 the RAM runs at 333 and 200 = 400. You also have settings like 'sync' which runs the RAM at the same speed as the FSB x2 as the processor.
Old 26 August 2005, 12:27 AM
kelvin
Scooby Regular

Well, the AGP voltage seems to be the thing that's done it - 24 hours on and it's still going - solid as a rock and lightning fast CPU-Z reported the 400mhz BIOS setting as 200mhz clock speed by the way.

The voltage stilll needs to be set to 2.85 to achieve stability but it's running like a dream again - thanks for the advice everyone. I've had written confirmation from Corsair that the modules are guaranteed up to 2.9mhz so there's no issue there. If i'm honest, i'm beginning to wonder whether my power supply isn't up to the job properly (hence having to set the voltage higher than normal) - I may get a multimeter on it at some point.

Cheers guys