Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Setting up a small office - Wireless Viable?

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2005, 10:32 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up a small office - Wireless Viable?

Hi, I am soon to be setting up a small office, and am looking into wireless LAN's to save routing cables all over the place!
We have 2 servers that will be plugged into a 10/100 hub (along with a cisco firewall used for web access, and VPN tunnelling), and 3 client machines. I am wondering whether 108Mbps wireless would cause any measurable bottlenecks in the speed if used for the client PC's - as a lot of work is done over a VPN tunnel, I do not think it will be a huge speed decrease!

I have a 54Mbps set-up at home, and can't fault it, but that is only connecting 1 PC to the web, so am not sure how it will fare in an office environment?

Is it worth going for wireless, or is the technology not quite there yet?
Old 26 August 2005, 01:22 PM
rich101
Scooby Regular

Smile

It sounds like you would be using a 10/100 hub (preferably a switch) as the back bone of this small office, then extending the network to allow the 108Mbps WiFi access from the clients.

If that is correct and the usage is likely to be email, printing docs and Internet access then you should be fine. However expect problems/slow respones when chucking large 100Mb+ files around or streaming HQ video.

I would also not want to go above 5~6 clients per access point otherwise the contention ratio could cause problems.

Let us all know how you get on . . .

rich

Originally Posted by TonyFlow
Hi, I am soon to be setting up a small office, and am looking into wireless LAN's to save routing cables all over the place!
We have 2 servers that will be plugged into a 10/100 hub (along with a cisco firewall used for web access, and VPN tunnelling), and 3 client machines. I am wondering whether 108Mbps wireless would cause any measurable bottlenecks in the speed if used for the client PC's - as a lot of work is done over a VPN tunnel, I do not think it will be a huge speed decrease!

I have a 54Mbps set-up at home, and can't fault it, but that is only connecting 1 PC to the web, so am not sure how it will fare in an office environment?

Is it worth going for wireless, or is the technology not quite there yet?
Old 26 August 2005, 01:32 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Wireless is '****' for a file sharing environment. It is OK if you are just routing an internet connection about a building or extending a network to do so, but any serious amount of file sharing or large file printing will be interupted and slowed to an unusable point.

You will end up spending the money twice and putting a hard wired one back in
Old 26 August 2005, 02:12 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How fast is the Internet connection. Usually that's always the bottleneck.

Stefan