Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How to install a firmware update?

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2005, 04:53 PM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install a firmware update?

I have downloaded an update for my DVD writer, but how do I then install it? I have unzipped it but when I double click I just get error messages. (Mat****a 9581, firmware B-102)

Bexlee
Old 25 August 2005, 05:29 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Does it not have any instruction ? Either with the download on on site that got the download from.
Might need the DVD writer set at specific setting, such as Master on secondary IDe channel.
Other that that it could be a corrupted update
Richard
Old 25 August 2005, 10:28 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

The old way to do a firmware update used to be to download the file, extract it if required and then copy onto a floppy disk. Reboot your system, make sure that it was set to boot from the floppy drive and away you go.

Not so sure now what the preferred procedure is as alot of PC's have no floppy drive. Usually the site you download the update from will tell you the procedure. One word of warning though, having seen the damage a messed up firmware update can do, dont bother unless there is a specific benefit to doing so.
Old 26 August 2005, 10:57 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bexlee
I have downloaded an update for my DVD writer, but how do I then install it? I have unzipped it but when I double click I just get error messages. (Mat****a 9581, firmware B-102)

Bexlee
What are the error messages? There will usually be a txt document that you download with the file that gives you the exact instructions on what to do. Usually with DVD writers you need to have it connected on its own channel and set as the master
Old 26 August 2005, 11:45 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bexlee

Bexlee
You need the flashing program for your drive, which sbe on the same site u got the firmware from.