Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless laptop issue

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2005, 09:02 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless laptop issue

Have set up a Netgear Wireless router with one PC accessing it via a pci card and a wireless enabled laptop accessing it.

Everything works well in unsecured mode, but once I apply WEP encryption, the PC still picks up the interent fine, but the laptop is not so sure.
It finds the wireless network, asks for the WEP key to be entered, connects to the network with an excellent connection, but when I try and access a web page, it displays a page not found.

Does anyone have any clues as to why this might be happening?

regards

Stu
Old 05 November 2005, 08:21 AM
missyc
Scooby Regular

Have a similar prob with my laptop, but here's the weird thing... the other wireless laptop and wireless desktop on our home network are fine!!!

Mine's a Dell that came with OS/drivers etc preinstalled.
Desktop and other laptop weren't.
Naive question... Could that have anything to do with it?
Old 05 November 2005, 11:19 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Just becouse you are connected to the Wifi doesn't mean you are actually on the network...
Now check weather youv'e been given a Ip address from the router...
command promt: ipconfig/all

If so try to ping the router generaly ping 192.168.0.1
check if the DHCP settign are correct with the ipconfig command...
even if they a re correct now try to copy them and set your ip address manulay.. i've had this problem before and it was the weirdest thing... did traces and everything and couldn't work out why the dhcp failed...

a start at least.
Daz
Old 07 November 2005, 12:37 PM
Joescoobs74
Scooby Regular

Try changing your encryption to a WPA-PSK (password system), this is what I use and have never had a problem. I believe its also a higher level of encryption, which can only be a good thing.
Old 10 November 2005, 08:19 PM
Tony_W
Scooby Regular

Make sure you have set the default gateway, in TCP/IP settings (right click My Network Places, select properties, then select the wireless connection), to the ip address of the wireless router. Usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Also make sure your preferred primary and secondary DNS servers are added for your ISP. (Do a google search for them if you don't have them, or ask on here)

Apply everything and hopefully you should have the internet on your wireless connection.

I'm assuming you checked in your control panel, internet tools, connection; that the laptop never dials the default connection

Tony
Old 11 November 2005, 10:53 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Stu, if you haven't sorted already then I'm going to suggest the simplest 'fix' of all.

If you are sure both wep keys are the same then try disconnecting the router for a minute. Reconnect it and come and tell me it's fine.
Old 12 November 2005, 11:56 AM
frisby
Scooby Regular

Got it sorted folks!

Went and downloaded the updated software for the wireless card. After installing it, the WEP encryption would still not work, so used WPA and it worked first time. I've now switched off the broadcasting of the SSID and its working great.

Cheers for all the advice folks.

Stu