Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

XBOX 360 causing internet problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2006, 10:47 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XBOX 360 causing internet problems?

Connected my 360 to the broadband box over the w/end but when I turn the 360 off it causes the broadband to disconnect from my computer. The only way to get it back & working is to pull the 360 lead from the back of the modem? then power the modem off & back on again.

Tried again & it worked fine when I plugged it in tonight but as soon as I switched it off it crashed the internet again. Unplug it, power the modem down & up again & the internet is back?

Any ideas?

Cheers Simon
Old 10 January 2006, 10:05 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

So you are swapping the leads around (i.e. unplugging the pc and plugging in the xbox instead - and vice versa)?

If you are doing this, you should turn the modem off before doing so. The two machines will have different mac addresses, which will likely completely confuse the broadband connection and cause it to become inaccessable until you reboot the modem...

Might be a good idea to get yourself a router...
Old 10 January 2006, 10:08 AM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

I do this and have no problems, having said that I copied my MAC addy from my PC and put it into my 360 in the options menu.

If you meed any help mate I will spek to you online if you want see if we can sort it out

What broadband you using I'm on NTL ??

Si
Old 10 January 2006, 10:57 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wah
I do this and have no problems, having said that I copied my MAC addy from my PC and put it into my 360 in the options menu.

If you meed any help mate I will spek to you online if you want see if we can sort it out

What broadband you using I'm on NTL ??

Si
Iain, no they are both plugged in, I have a wireless modem router with 4 hard wire sockets at the back.

Si, may take you up on your offer m8, thanks
Old 10 January 2006, 11:10 AM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

May not be able to help much with it going through a router as thats one thing I don't use lol, but can have a chat none the less

Si
Old 10 January 2006, 11:51 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Strange. I have the 360 hardwired to my dlink wireless router (along with 3 other pcs and a wireless laptop) and none of them affects any of the others.

One thing I have heard is that with some routers, the 360 works much better if you assign it a static ip address. Perhaps you could give that a go as it may be a problem with the dchp leasing. What router is it that you are using?
Old 10 January 2006, 11:56 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
Strange. I have the 360 hardwired to my dlink wireless router (along with 3 other pcs and a wireless laptop) and none of them affects any of the others.

One thing I have heard is that with some routers, the 360 works much better if you assign it a static ip address. Perhaps you could give that a go as it may be a problem with the dchp leasing. What router is it that you are using?
A Belkin. how would I go about doing the above? I think the 1st thing I will try is turn the lot off, plug XBox in & then reboot computer then Xbox & see what happens.
Old 10 January 2006, 12:12 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Using my router, you just go into the xbox network settings, enter the appropriate values (ip address, subnet mask, dns address, and gateway) and that's it. On other routers, you have to enter the static ip address into the router settings as well.