Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sony psp firmware question ??

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2006, 07:51 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sony psp firmware question ??

The local electrical store to me are selling the basic psp unit along with the charger and a 32mb card at a price off £119.95, have checked and double checked with them that these very units that they have in stock are infact jap version units running the 2.0 firmware.

so okay know that this 2.0 firmware version can be brought down to the all important 1.5 required for homebrew etc applications just need reasurance that this firmware rollback is indeed easy enough to carry out with any hassle ??

any downsides to downgrading the firmware ??

lastly with the jap spec 2.0 fimware versions off the psp unit available in the uk and the availblty for it to be rolled back to the 1.5 version, I wonder why the 1.5 units are fetching such high prices on the secondhand market - anyone explain ??
Old 03 April 2006, 08:45 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

+ points homebrew, and isos,

- points newer games and movies requires higher firmware, you don't get the better browser (or a browser even)

sony don't make 2.0 or 1.5s anymore so people are taking the p and putting prices up

proud owner of a ceramic white 1.5 psp
Old 03 April 2006, 11:33 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

I would get them to boot up the machine and show you the firmware. If it's 2.01 or 2.02 or higher you have no chance. If it's 2.00 then plenty of places to go for details of how to downgrade to 1.5 (try here for starters - http://www.psp-hacks.com/ )

I bought mine as a white 1.5 model off ebay to save me the worries of downgrading but from all accounts it appears easy enough to downgrade as long as you have 2.00.... Downside as already mentioned is that many of the new games won't play, and that's with original UMD disks - not just hooky versions, unless you upgrade the FW.

I only paid about the same price for a new white 1.5 as I would have paid for a black UK 2.5 form the stores, though this was a few months back.

Joolz
Old 03 April 2006, 11:38 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or just buy a 360

Psp has already lost umd movie support from the big movie companies. Games are sluggish and ****e, if you want portable, get a GBA
Old 04 April 2006, 08:40 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by bob269
Or just buy a 360

Psp has already lost umd movie support from the big movie companies. Games are sluggish and ****e, if you want portable, get a GBA
Or just buy a PSP like you say you have already decided to. If you want homebrew there's a vibrant scene out there. Now that many of the firmware locked games have been circumvented (i.e. giving you the ability to play "sluggish and ****e" games like Grand Theft Auto on your 1.5 device if that is what floats your boat), a lot of the homebrew scene that many purported to be dead on the PSP has now been re-enlivened.

IMO the games are great! As long as you are only expecting a Playstation 1 3/4 in portable format on a smaller screen. Most games have not really been written with the portable games machine concept and are merely ports of current playstation 2 titles. Admittedly the games designed for GBA are generally more that - designed for GBA.

Enjoy your movie support on the GBA, Bob. Declining UMD support from the studios does not mean you can't play movies - just that you have to put them on stick instead from your own DVDs. If you want to play movies, prepare to also budget for £40+ in a 1Gb Memory stick

HTH
Joolz

Last edited by jbryant; 04 April 2006 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04 April 2006, 09:07 AM
andy1505
Scooby Regular

Default Easy enough.

It's easy enough but just takes a bit of guts to load a duff file in to crash your PSP first. Then just load in the new firmware. Easy. Working out which loaders to use takes longer.
Old 04 April 2006, 09:51 AM
MAC76
Scooby Regular

So has anyone figured out how to rollback 2.5's yet?
Old 04 April 2006, 11:15 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

You can run homebrew on newer PSP's using the GTA gamesave hack
Old 04 April 2006, 01:18 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MAC76
So has anyone figured out how to rollback 2.5's yet?
I'm not sure this will happen for the exact reason that BuRR has mentioned.
As much homebrew can now be played on later firmwares, one of the main reasons to stay with 1.5 firmware is to be able to use ISO loaders, which enable you to play full games from the memory stick rather than UMDs.

A lot of the homebrew scene are unhappy with the development of ISO loaders. They feel that this is the reason why Sony keep releasing newer firmware that blocks homebrew. (i.e. they belive Sony want to block the ISO loaders but in the process this kills off the ability to run homebrew). It's fairly obvious after the previous actions by Sony that if a way to downgrade from 2.5 is compromised then Sony will simply close the loophole again, creating another firmware update (with games requiring it installed to run properly).

I've upgraded my firmware now anyway to play GTA. I'd be happy to backtrack using the tools out there on 1.5, but the 2.0 firmware and browser support is hard to drop, and I'd only have to upgrade again when I want to play my game UMDs that require 2.0.

As I mentioned before there are now ways to play later games on early firmware versions but these are becoming more and more of a PITA so I can't really be bothered (exactly what Sony would hope for, basically)

If you want 1.5, you'll have to buy a 1.5 -> 2.0 machine. Don't hold your breath if you are on a later revision - you may be better off just getting a second device on the old firmware. You can pick one up for the price of 3-4 games as you probably only want the hardware as you have the rest of the bits already.

Joolz
Old 04 April 2006, 02:24 PM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

mine was a white 2.0 but outrun made me update to 2.6

oh well guess ill have to get the SNES, N64 and the rest of them out the loft
Old 04 April 2006, 02:37 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Jono any chance you could get one for me at that price?! Interested in having a 2nd psp at £120.

Hi mate, check out there website www.e-woc.co.uk tel 0141 4297400 you want the psp single pack at £119.94 which includes the psp, 32 card and charger, the gigapack ones they sell at £169.94 use the later 2.5 ?? firmware so looks like the single pack is the one to go for.

give them a ring first and double check that the one you will be getting is a 2.0 version thou.
Old 04 April 2006, 03:41 PM
MAC76
Scooby Regular

Sorry i am a bit lost here
So i have a psp running 2.5 ... can i do the run games from memory stick thing? If so how
Old 04 April 2006, 07:27 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MAC76
Sorry i am a bit lost here
So i have a psp running 2.5 ... can i do the run games from memory stick thing? If so how
In one word: No

You need firmware 1.5. If you had firmware 2.0 then you can downgrade it it to 1.5.
Anything above firmware 2.0 then your stuffed.
Old 04 April 2006, 08:00 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD
Thumbs up

you cannot beat a bit of the old school - like double dragon and golden axe ETC - also with the current new loaders theyve finally got new games like lemmings/worms/king kong and the long awaited syphon filter running + you can dump your original umd of Iss pro evo football to your MS and it runs 15 times faster then the umd + saves battery life - I play my G/F`s bro all the time and his PSP is so slow

I am looking forward to testing the new megadrive emulator with wi fi support - roll on mortal kombat
Old 04 April 2006, 09:13 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

if you want to have 1.5 fw, you are safe if you get a psp anything from 1.0 (rare) to 2.0,

i would be shocked if you could get one at a shop now, its normaly 2.5 (2.6 latest)

to check it before you pay for it look at the barcode, you get letters on top it says something like this

psp-1000 kcw
(more letters and numbers )

THEN A SINGLE LETTER

check the letter if its anything less than an F (2.0) then you're fine ie A-F

G + then its 2.01 +

good luck

btw did i mention i'm a proud owner of a ceramic white 1.5 psp

PSP ROCKS
Old 04 April 2006, 09:14 PM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

if you want to have 1.5 fw, you are safe if you get a psp anything from 1.0 (rare) to 2.0,

i would be shocked if you could get one at a shop now, its normaly 2.5 (2.6 latest)

to check it before you pay for it look at the barcode, you get letters on top it says something like this

psp-1000 kcw

THEN A SINGLE LETTER

G + then its 2.01 +

good luck

PSP ROCKS
Old 06 April 2006, 06:47 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wwp8

psp-1000 kcw

THEN A SINGLE LETTER

G + then its 2.01 +

good luck

PSP ROCKS

Just received my new psp today from the link that I gave earlier in this thread, can confirm it is a 2.00 version, handbook is jap with a photcopied english version included.

so there you go folks - £119 and a ldownload and you have your very own 1.5 jap spec psp- seems a good deal to me !!!
Old 06 April 2006, 06:56 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Originally Posted by jono300
Just received my new psp today from the link that I gave earlier in this thread, can confirm it is a 2.00 version, handbook is jap with a photcopied english version included.

so there you go folks - £119 and a ldownload and you have your very own 1.5 jap spec psp- seems a good deal to me !!!
thats a good price now all you need is a 2GB memory card and your rocking stay clear of the 4gb hard drive as its pants
Old 15 April 2006, 08:33 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Can anyone just confirm that the link mentioned jbryant - psp hacks.com is safe enough toi use as a source off the downgrading programme for my 2.0 version psp to the all important 1.5 version ??

lastly, I take it this downgraing software works with both us and jap spec psp units ??

anyone here used the above programme on there 2.0 jap spec version psp - anything to look out for ?? just a bit wary seeing as the unit is brand new !!!

cheers
Old 15 April 2006, 09:28 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

that site is poss the only decent one however, any questions you want to ask do a search first, as they are so RUDE
Old 15 April 2006, 10:18 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Will this be a UK PSP Giga pack ???

http://www.e-woc.co.uk/DisplayDetail.aspx?which=12934
Old 15 April 2006, 10:41 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Yep mate, they sell the giga pack but be advised that the giga packs that they sell use the later 2.5 ?? firmware as opposed to the psp only deals that they do which use the 2.0 firmware.
Old 15 April 2006, 10:46 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that.
Im not worried at it being 2.5 as its for my sons 6th birthday.

2.5 means it cant use copied games or films?

So just to check it will be a UK PSP with english handbook / box, the same as a console purchased from GAME, but £40 less
Old 15 April 2006, 10:59 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
Cheers for that.
Im not worried at it being 2.5 as its for my sons 6th birthday.

2.5 means it cant use copied games or films?

So just to check it will be a UK PSP with english handbook / box, the same as a console purchased from GAME, but £40 less

Okay mate, pass !! not 100 % sure if the giga packs are jap or uk stock with them being the 2.5 firmware ??

my 2.0 single psp came boxed, english manual ( photocopy ) as they are imports from japan but seeing as this particular version is very rare to find new for sale in the uk and it was a good price at £119 it suited me fine.

great company do deal with by the way, ordered one day and received the folowing morning by city link couriers.

maybe best to give them a phone on the number I gave earlier just to double check on anything before you go ahead and order.
Old 19 April 2006, 04:37 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Okay mate, pass !! not 100 % sure if the giga packs are jap or uk stock with them being the 2.5 firmware ??

my 2.0 single psp came boxed, english manual ( photocopy ) as they are imports from japan but seeing as this particular version is very rare to find new for sale in the uk and it was a good price at £119 it suited me fine.

great company do deal with by the way, ordered one day and received the folowing morning by city link couriers.

maybe best to give them a phone on the number I gave earlier just to double check on anything before you go ahead and order.
Looks like I missed out. Don't have them listed on their website anymore. Excpet for the link, but all they have is accessories.
Old 19 April 2006, 07:23 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Would give them a phone on the number I gave in one off my threads above, may just be that they have not updated there website.