Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help with mapping a Unix Drive in Windows under Netware 6.5

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2006, 11:11 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Help with mapping a Unix Drive in Windows under Netware 6.5

Trying to map a drive in windows to a unix box on a Netware 6.5 network that is not using bindery.

The network has just migrated to 6.5 and we started to use a an application called NETDRIVE. It worked for 2 days and then stopped functioning correctly as the application that requires the drive mapping says files on this drive do not exist. It is not a UNIX rights issue (as far as we know) as full rights are now available on this UNIX drive.

Anybody got any help on the above please?

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 04 April 2006, 11:15 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Are you mapping directly to Unix using some SMB service on the server or via some NetWare NFS service running on the NeWare 6.5 server?

Stefan
Old 04 April 2006, 11:20 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

I need to map directly to UNIX yes.... before we used something called TAS on the old Netware network, but that requires bindery to work. I'm really after a client application (ideally) that can be run to map a drive on that machine to UNIX.
Old 04 April 2006, 11:32 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shaun,

I recommend you share from the Unix box to the Wintel box using SAMBA on the Unix side.

We never export Wintel file systems to Unix boxes - although SAMBA does give you the tools to do this too.

Alex

PS. http://www.samba.org

Last edited by DrEvil; 04 April 2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04 April 2006, 11:46 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Can you not use Reflections NFS on the windows machine and map directly to the UNIX drive? I use this app here and it works fine

EDITED TO ADD: All windows clients login to Netware 6.5 and some map NFS drives to Tru64 Unix
Old 04 April 2006, 02:42 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Unless you want the server to do permissions stuff (i.e. the Unix mount looks like a NetWare volume) or permissions can be administered via the NetWare administration console (exporting file systems), then you don't need something server based (like the old NFS for NetWare product).

The Unix box doesn't need to know anything about NetWare, as long as the clients are using a common protocol i.e. TCP/IP, then you can use a 3rd-party client on the workstation and connect to the Unix mount points directly.

Personally I'd just ignore NetWare and use some 3rd party tool such as Reflections. Unless you want to keep admin overheads really low and do it all via the one system.
Old 04 April 2006, 04:24 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I use SAMBA on my HPUX and SOLARIS boxes to share with windows. You can manage your SAMBA share over the web using SWAT so managing it is dead easy.

One thing you will also need on your UNIX box is a virus checker if you are sharing files with windows, even though UNIX won't be infected by anything you can not guarantee the condition of a windows file held on a samba share.

You can use Sophos on your UX box and it is free just download it and install it, make a change to the scanlist file so that it is not set to / then bobs yer uncle, it gets definition updates automatically from the web and you can set it to scan using cron.

If anyone has any better solution to SOPHOS I would be interested to hear.

Just remember not to scan your samba shares with Norton from your PC as it will change all the file permissions on samba share then you have to manually change them all back.

Last edited by Wurzel; 04 April 2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04 April 2006, 06:22 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DrEvil
Shaun,

I recommend you share from the Unix box to the Wintel box using SAMBA on the Unix side.

We never export Wintel file systems to Unix boxes - although SAMBA does give you the tools to do this too.

Alex

PS. http://www.samba.org