Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Getting into IT

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2006, 04:56 PM
T2000
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting into IT

Hi, I am looking at changing career. I have done a search on here looking at people wanting to get into IT.

Are courses that cover Computia A+ and N+, leading to microsoft or Cisco networks any good. The places
that offer the courses all say they can gaurantee jobs.

Are they just saying this to get my money???

I currently work using AutoCAD. I have no qualifications on paper for this but can use it well. Would it be
better to follow this line?? I have gone as far as I can in my current job. It has no challenge.
Old 04 April 2006, 06:06 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T2000
Are they just saying this to get my money???
In a word, YES! No-one can guarantee you a job so thats utter bull$hit. Unfortunately you will find any training/qualifications irrelevant as soon as you pitch for a job because they will want experience *every* time.

You need to decide what area you want to work in, IT is so diverse and you really need to choose what route to take. As I have said to others on here dont wait for jobs to become available why not write and offer yourself, many many small and medium sized businesses have little or poor IT functions, like every trade there are alot of people in the game but alot of idiots as well.

Dont be misled into thinking that you can earn alot of money in IT straight off, its just like any other discipline the money comes with the knowledge and experience and that takes time.

Good luck

Gary
Old 04 April 2006, 06:37 PM
T2000
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your reply.

I will try and get to know the IT people where I work, let them know
that I am interested. Worth a try I guess??

Thanks again.
Old 04 April 2006, 07:07 PM
HomerJunior
Scooby Regular

Speak to a guy named Simon Perriton at Just IT (0800 019 66 61) or here http://www.justit.co.uk. I was in the same boat three years ago and I did a lot of research into training companies. The reason I chose these guys is that they looked at my CV and gave me an appraisal without trying on the hard sell.

Comments so far about training companies wanting your money are true which is why you need to pick the right one if you are going to go ahead with training.

As for guaranteed jobs, forget it. Best thing they can offer you is a placment and then it is up to you.

If you want some more details then PM me and I will quite happily give you some more details.

By the way, there may be better training companies out there. I am only speaking from my personal experience.

Anyway, good luck whatever you do!

Originally Posted by T2000
Thanks for your reply.

I will try and get to know the IT people where I work, let them know
that I am interested. Worth a try I guess??

Thanks again.
Old 05 April 2006, 09:51 AM
T2000
Scooby Newbie

Thanks, looks like a good option. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 05 April 2006, 10:04 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Homer, are you now employed in IT? How long did it take you to get a job after the training (and what training did you do and what job did you get)?