Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop won't connect to wireless network - PLEASE HELP, URGENT!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2006, 08:35 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Laptop won't connect to wireless network - PLEASE HELP, URGENT!!

I've tried to connect to my wireless network using my laptop (which has worked fine for the last 10 months and was ok the last time I used it) and although it finds the network and apparently connects it then stays on 'aquiring network address' for ages and keeps trying and trying and trying but doesn't get any further.

OR it gets past that stage and says 'limited or no connectivity' and I'm unable to connect to the internet.

The status window says that I'm connected to the network and the signal strength is excellent.

I've tried the repair button but it doesn't.

My PDA will connect perfectly well to the same wireless connection so I guess the problem is with my laptop.

I'm pulling my hair out in frustration with it so please help me as I don't want to be bald

Cheers

Sal
Old 10 April 2006, 08:58 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Same thing happened to me recently. When I right clicked the Network monitors near the clock on the task bar, found that a new router had been installed in one of the houses in my street and the PC was pulling that as my default router. What I did was this:
1).. Right click the Network monitor icon next to the Clock
2).. Left click 'view wireless networks'
3).. Left click under the 'Related Tasks Pane' the option: 'Change the order of perfered networks'
4).. Then under the 'prefered Networks Pane' Either remove the offending New router it has found. Or click on the 'Advanced' button, and then Make sure the preferred router you connect to has:

'Access Point (Infrastructure)' checked

'Automatically Connect to non-prefereed networks' ticked.
Old 10 April 2006, 09:10 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thanks matey but I've just tried it exactly as you say and it still doesn't work

In the 'view wireless network connections window' it lists my network and says I'm connected but in the right hand corner above the signal strength icon says 'aquiring network address'. The network icon in the tray has a little yellow blob flashing and also says it's 'aquiring network address' and this is as far as it gets.

I do all my work on my laptop and NEED an internet connection otherwise I'm buggered and my business will go down the pan and I'll be forced to live in the gutter....

Last edited by Scoobychick; 10 April 2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10 April 2006, 09:33 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

When I run the ConfigFree Connectivity Doctor it finds the problem and says that the IP address was not set properly. Refreshing the network settings doesn't solve it.

Is there a way to manually set the IP address?
Old 10 April 2006, 10:33 AM
ChrisB

Yes, but normally it would be passed on by your router Sal.

Have you rebooted the router recently?
Old 10 April 2006, 10:48 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

to set up the ip manually, view your available connections, right click on the wireless network and then click on properties. It will bring a box up at this stage. About a 3rd of the way down you will see probably about 4 different lines, the one you are looking for is Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), highlight this and then click on properties. You can then key in the manual adress on this. You will also need your subnet mask, and the default gateway address, and possibly 2 dns server addresses as well.

Alternatively, connect your laptop to the router by network cable and check the settings. Some routers can sort of freeze even though they are working. I just had similar on my desktop pc at home, the laptop was working perfectly but the desktop for some reason couldnt connect to the router. To rectify this, I just changed the channel numbers on the router, the laptop and the desktop, saved the settings and then restarted the access point and the problem was solved.
Old 10 April 2006, 11:05 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Sal if u get ur IP from the router then you could do the following....

1) Click on START > Run and type in "cmd" (without the quotes) and hit return.

Thie should start up a DOS command box. Now type....

ipconfig /release <return> this should drop the current (if any) IP address (this is used to talk to ur router)

Next type......

ipconfig /renew - this should communicate with ur router and ask it for a new IP address, this should then be reported back to you.

HTH

Andy
Old 10 April 2006, 11:08 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I rebooted the router yesterday after trying unsuccessfully the first time to connect. I then tried my PDA on the same wireless network and that was fine.

I'd like to try what jaytc2003 suggests but am getting out of my depth so am a bit nervous. Is there anything else I can do (apart from rebooting the router again) that might work before I try jaytc's suggestion?
Old 10 April 2006, 11:09 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Ah, cheers Andy, will try that
Old 10 April 2006, 11:34 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Right, I got the IP settings and put them in manually and I'm now connected to the internet BUT still can't get on it via my browser. I didn't know how to put the dns settings in so could that be the problem? At least I'm now connected (sort of)

How do I get the DNS server addresses?

Last edited by Scoobychick; 10 April 2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10 April 2006, 11:35 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

To be honest doing what Andy suggests is in effect just like using the repair option (it does the same it just that windows makes it user friendly instead of you having to remember commands)

If you try what I suggested, if you want to undo the changes, just follow the procedure again and then when you key in your ip address, just check the option for Obtain an ip address automatically. Also do this for the DNS address as well.

It may be that you have changed your channel somehow, if you are connected to the network but on a different channel then the message you are getting is what you would get.
It may mean going into the router itself (probably have to use a network cable) and you usually access this by typing the routers ip into internet explorer (usually it would be 192.168.1.* or 10.0.0.* a lot of routers tell you on the side of the unit itself)

If you dont want to go into the router, then try the different channel ranges on your laptop
Old 10 April 2006, 11:37 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

okay you posted as I was posting. It could now be your dns servers holding you back. Do you have a list of settings that your isp sent? alternatively, just post who your supplier is and I will see if I can find the dns servers for you.
Old 10 April 2006, 11:42 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick
Right, I got the IP settings and put them in manually and I'm now connected to the internet BUT still can't get on it via my browser. I didn't know how to put the dns settings in so could that be the problem? At least I'm now connected (sort of)

How do I get the DNS server addresses?
try a uk yahoo/google search for them.
Old 10 April 2006, 11:49 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Pipex xtreme solo
Old 10 April 2006, 11:59 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

primary use either 158.43.240.4 or 62.241.160.200
secondary use 158.43.240.3

Good link here http://www.the.caretaker.dsl.pipex.com/pipex.htm with a few guides on it. (at work so not downloaded any guides as we are on isdn 128k between 6 of us not bad for a big company - bring back dial up its quicker) (probably doesnt help that im using the bandwith on here!!!)
Old 10 April 2006, 12:28 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I've been in my Pipex control panel and found the 62.241.160.200 address and tried that - it didn't work.

I also tried your other numbers and they didn't work. I also found another number in the Router - that didn't work.

I'm at the end of my tether Have you any idea why it would suddenly start playing up like this when it's always been fine in the past? The laptop was new last August so I would expect it to be working ok after just 10 months. Why would the auto settings fail?

The other problem I have is what do I do if this happens when I'm out and about trying to get on other wireless networks? Is it a hardware problem? Do I need to take it back to PC World? (God forbid )

Thanks for all your help btw, I really appreciate it
Old 10 April 2006, 12:35 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

okay you say it works okay with your pda?
If so copy those settings into your laptop (dont know how to retrieve the settings on the pda so your on your own with that one) and then turn the pda off. Restart your laptop and see if that works. If it does then turn your pda back on and hopefully this will aquire a new ip address

whats the pipex control panel? the number you gave 62.241.160.200 is probably your ip address. What number did you find in the router and what did it say it was for?

Last edited by jaytc2003; 10 April 2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10 April 2006, 12:54 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

This is what I found in the Pipex control panel (control panel is the user login area where all the tech settings and stuff are):

Primary DNS 62.241.162.200
Secondary DNS 62.241.163.200

The number I found in the router is the 'Preferred DNS setting'

I never thought to look in my PDA, d'oh. I'm on it now..

Edit to say PDA doesn't show the DNS settings, just the IP etc So far I've spent all day trying to get this bloody laptop to work. What can I do next?? Why doesn't it automatically find the settings like it used to do?

Last edited by Scoobychick; 10 April 2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10 April 2006, 03:57 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

try removing the network card for the device manager on your lappy. Reboot and it will reinstall it, reloading the IP stack stuff in the process.
Old 10 April 2006, 04:39 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

What router are you using?
Old 10 April 2006, 04:40 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

It's got built in wireless, can I still reboot it? (I've rebooted the machine hundreds of tiomes today already)

When I run a connectivity test it says I'm connected to the wireless network ok but that there is no response from the DNS server or Gateway server yet it shows that I'm connected. I'm so pee'd off with it now. I've already wasted a day and half trying to get it sorted
Old 10 April 2006, 04:41 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

It's a D-Link DSL-G604T
Old 10 April 2006, 04:55 PM
G-STAR
Scooby Regular

This is from the knowledge base relating to the router:

Connected (Connection established):

- Statically assign the IP address, Default Gateway and DNS settings on your computer

You should be able to find how to do so in the manual: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Broadband/dslg60...l_07072005.zip
Old 10 April 2006, 05:55 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I've fixed it (well more probably it fixed itself)! I read the manual then started right from the beginning again and went back through every single setting returning them all to auto (or something ). Anyway after yet another reboot it's working fine!

I'm not going to question why so long as it works Thanks to everyone who helped, it's much appreciated

Divs like me shouldn't be allowed near technology
Old 11 April 2006, 09:37 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear you've got it sorted Sal

Andy