Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

computer freezes

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2006, 07:01 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question computer freezes

as above when i start to use more than one program at a time the screen freezes and makes a single bleep. now ive re-formated the hard drive and its still doing it. the screen also has red blocks/dots on the screen occationally, if i move an icon on the desk top over the dots/patch it disapears. its more prominant when i use wmp.
the computer is an amd 64 3500+ processor with 512ram running windows xp

cheers mike
Old 10 April 2006, 08:47 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Have you tried different Video Card drivers?

Either that or your problem is the video card. What type is it? If it has a cooling fan, then maybe this is the issue, as it may have packed up causing the card to over heat.
Old 11 April 2006, 06:21 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

whan you say video card you mean graphics card? yea tried the one off the nvideia sight and an other from a site i found on google, and it doing just the same. think theres only on fan on the computer which i can hear running all the time. the graphics card is a nvidia geForce fx5500

cheers mike
Old 11 April 2006, 07:40 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FASTER MIKE!!
whan you say video card you mean graphics card? yea tried the one off the nvideia sight and an other from a site i found on google, and it doing just the same. think theres only on fan on the computer which i can hear running all the time. the graphics card is a nvidia geForce fx5500

cheers mike
Yep Video Card, Graphics card are the same thing. I take it the heatsink on the graphics card does not have a fan on it then?

Either that or the heatsink has come away from the Graphics cards Main processor. Thus it is overheating and causing the lock ups.
Worth having a look.
Old 11 April 2006, 10:00 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

no theres no fan attached to the graphics card but all 3 fans are working fine, when you say heat sink do you mean the metal fins? they appear to be ok

mike
Old 11 April 2006, 10:04 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

no theres no fan attached to the graphics card but all 3 fans are working fine, when you say heat sink do you mean the metal fins? they appear to be ok

mike
How long have you had the computer for ?
Old 11 April 2006, 11:33 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

its about 16months old so just out of warranty. i take its sound like the graphics card is knackered? or i need someone professional to look at it?

cheers mike

Trending Topics

Old 12 April 2006, 12:47 AM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its pretty much pointing to gfx card problem, you could try booting windows safe mode (keep hitting F8 before it starts booting up) if the problem persists then i'd try another card.

I'd avoid taking it to "professionals" as they will charge more than a new gfx card is actually worth.

Try another card off a mate, or bug the IT guy at work into lending you an old one to eliminate the problem, if it works then buy a new card, the FX5500 should cost no more than £25-£30
Old 12 April 2006, 09:14 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

its about 16months old so just out of warranty. i take its sound like the graphics card is knackered? or i need someone professional to look at it?

cheers mike
From what you describe, something is going wrong with the graphics card. As bob269 has quoted (I take it bob269 is the robot off the black hole film? anyway.....) it isn't worth a professional looking at it. Best to get another AGP card (Preferbly the same one or another from nvidia).
1).. Then power off the PC
2).. Take the case off
3).. Remove the AGP graphics card
4).. Install replacement card
5).. Power up the PC
6).. Graphics mode in windows will default back to 640x480
7).. Windows will then hopefully detect the new graphics card and will hopefully load up the new driver for it. (Note: that if you use a nvidia card or like for like will make this process easier)
8).. Reboot PC via windows (When prompted to do so)
9).. Change you resolution back to how it was.
Old 12 April 2006, 09:34 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
From what you describe, something is going wrong with the graphics card. As bob269 has quoted (I take it bob269 is the robot off the black hole film? anyway.....) it isn't worth a professional looking at it. Best to get another AGP card (Preferbly the same one or another from nvidia).
1).. Then power off the PC
2).. Take the case off
3).. Remove the AGP graphics card
4).. Install replacement card
5).. Power up the PC
6).. Graphics mode in windows will default back to 640x480
7).. Windows will then hopefully detect the new graphics card and will hopefully load up the new driver for it. (Note: that if you use a nvidia card or like for like will make this process easier)
8).. Reboot PC via windows (When prompted to do so)
9).. Change you resolution back to how it was.
Seconded - loads of new or 2nd-hand 5500s or 5600s going on ebay for £25-40

Joolz
Old 12 April 2006, 09:40 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Some cheapy FX-5500's here:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...subcat_uid=666
Old 12 April 2006, 10:34 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

cheers for all the help guys i spoke to the tech guy at mesh and it turns out i have a 3 years warranty, the computers only 16months old. so they are gonna arrange for it to be collected and taken back.

cheers mike
Old 13 April 2006, 02:28 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

cheers for all the help guys i spoke to the tech guy at mesh and it turns out i have a 3 years warranty, the computers only 16months old. so they are gonna arrange for it to be collected and taken back.

cheers mike
No worries. I hope Mesh arn't going to charge you £60 for a courier to come and take it away for repair ? They did that with a neighbour of mine, who had an issue with their newly bought PC. Unfortunately if had to fix it then I would have voided the warranty for them.
Old 13 April 2006, 06:36 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

well if they do they can stick it, i'll fit a new card on my own. can just about get a brand new card for that. cheers again