Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless networks

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2006, 09:47 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless networks

I run a wireless network in the home as i was sick of sitting upstairs in the spare room when surfing the internet etc.
To overcome this i purchased a wireless enabled laptop. When i first bought it the laptop connected to the network immediately, now it can take up to twenty mins.
Signal strength is excellant but initially i only get limited connection.

Anybody suffer a similar problem? And is there anything i can do about it?
Nik
Old 06 May 2006, 09:53 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

Does it get it's own network address (ip) from the router or does it have a static address.

Is it auto acquireing it's own address or is it a static IP. It can tae it's time to hand shake with the router and get an address. If it has a static IP then it will get on quicker 9 times out of 10.
Old 06 May 2006, 09:56 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I think it acquires an address which is whats taking the time as you suggest.
Any hints on how to change this?

quote=minty]Does it get it's own network address (ip) from the router or does it have a static address.

Is it auto acquireing it's own address or is it a static IP. It can tae it's time to hand shake with the router and get an address. If it has a static IP then it will get on quicker 9 times out of 10.[/quote]
Old 06 May 2006, 10:38 AM
MBA
Scooby Newbie

My thought is that if your router is taking that long to issue an IP then DCHP may have been disabled and you have been given a temporary IP address called (APIPA) Automatic Private IP Addressing

i either suggest re enabling your router to DCHP (if its not already) and/or assign a static IP address to your Network Adaptor (google this)

Static IP's will connect you to the Router quicker as the router hasnt got to dish out an IP itself